Comfy Colonial Funeral Homes

Why is it that funeral homes all look like either a southern plantation mansion or an uppity colonial-style home?

I don’t even have to look for a “funeral home” sign anymore–whoop, large white house with columns, funeral home! I just find it so peculiar when these homes are just temporary warehouses for the dead.

Anyone else notice this? Ideas? Thoughts? Comments?

–Laura

Perhaps, because of their connections in the marble carving and memorial manufacturing industries, it just makes good business sense to build in that style.

They’re more than “warehouses” for the dead. Those left behind have to visit the dead. Have you ever had the misfortune of having to be in one for a dearly departed? They’re big and comfy inside too. I’m afraid I’ve had to visit several in my time.
My guess is they’re trying to make the bereaved feel more “at home.” Putting yourself in the shoes of a grieving person, how would you like a funeral home to appear?
I can’t think of anything better, but they could be a lot worse.

It’s because funeral homes have to be big (there’s a lot that goes on that you’re not supposed to see, nor would you want to), and that style of building looks better on a big structure. Also, because it’s what people expect a funeral home to look like. Here in L.A., Forest Lawn is modeled after Mount Vernon. I don’t think a “funeral condo” would cut it.

Come to think of it, I’ve never seen a funeral doublewide, either.