Comic book pantheons

Has anyone assembled a list of the different comic book/superhero pantheons?

Off the top of my head:

*DC mainstream pantheon: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, etc
*DC WildStorm pantheon: Wild Cats, Gen 13, Stormwatch, etc
*Marvel mainstream pantheon: Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Avengers, X-Men, etc
*Marvel Ultimate pantheon: Different version of the mainstram characters
*Squadron Supreme pantheon: Marvel pantheon based on DC characters
*Amalgam pantheon: DC/Marvel joint publication
*Watchmen pantheon: Alan Moore creation, published by DC
*Top 10 pantheon: Alan Moore series, published by Wildstorm/DC
*Astro City pantheon: Kurt Busiek creation, publsihed by Image/Homage
*Elementals pantheon: Bill Willingham creation, published by Comico
*Pantheon pantheon: Bill Willingham creation, published by Lone Star
*End League pantheon: Rick Remender creation, published by Dark Horse
*Noble Causes pantheon: Jay Faerber creation, published by Image

I’m avoiding things like one character series, alternate-earth pantheons that have no independent publishing history, non-superhero series, and non-comic book series.

This seems kind of an arbitrary use of the word pantheon. Superman counts, but only because he’s part of a team? :confused:

Agreed…I thought you were talking about things like the Greek (Hercules and related) and Norse (Thor and related) pantheons in Marvel.

If I get your intent, Marvel has The Illuminati. They are:

Charles Xavier, who represents mutants
Stephen Strange, the Sorcerer Supreme
Tony Stark, a stand-in for the Avengers
Black Bolt, the ruler of the Inhumans
Namor, the ruler of three-fourths of the world
Reed Richards, a superhero celebrity and one of the most intelligent men in the world

Some other heroes I would add if we were to expand the group are

Thor, the ruler of Asgard after Odin’s passing
Steve Rogers, the hero archtype
Nick Fury, the director of SHIELD
T’Challa, the king of Wakanda

Spidey, though hugely important and popular, doesn’t strike me as a High Council sort of guy, nor do any of the other heavy hitters.

I’m not talking about superhero teams. I’m talking about fictional worlds with multiple superheroes in them, even if they all operate as individuals. Basically, I was trying to see what the various superhero archtypes were that reoccurred in different settings.

And the term pantheon has been used in this sense for years. It’s obviously derived from the older meaning of a pantheon as a group of gods. But it’s easy to see how a group of superheroes took over the term - superheroes are the modern equivalent of the classical myth figures.

I obviously missed your intent. For what it’s worth, though, the Illuminati’s not really a team. It’s, as its name implies, a secret society of power brokers.

Yes, but it’s a part of the mainstream Marvel world (or pantheon).

Okay, I’ll play.

The golden boy = Superman (DC), Captain America (Marvel)
The tech genius with issues = Batman (DC), Iron Man (Marvel)
The wise mentor type = Stephen Strange (Marvel), J’onn Jonz (Marvel)
The teen teams = Teen Titans (DC), Young Avengers (Marvel)
The magical girl = Zatanna (DC), Scarlet Witch (Marvel)

There’s lots and lots more, and I’m only using the two big houses. I’m sure people can come up with others.

He’s in there, actually, though sometimes he doesn’t meet. He didn’t want to form the group when Iron Man first proposed it, but he still came to the (very infrequent) gatherings a few times.

So you’re basically just listing comic book universes which contain more than one superhero?

The Neil Gaiman/Alan Moore-originated Endless/Lucifer/Hellblazer Vertigo imprint universe overlaps with normal DC continuity, so its members fit, but are not superheroes by any definition. Maybe John Constantine, I guess, if Dr Strange, Etrigan and the like are.

Mostly. Although I suppose a superhero group that always works together would be the equivalent of a single superhero.

Feh.

But if it makes some fan boys feel extra special about themselves to believe this, all the more power to them.

Well, we can’t all be as extra special as you so we cling to what we can.

Well, your future President didn’t compare (jokingly) himself to Achilles or Lord Rama at that comedy roast thingy, now did he? No, he compared himself to Kal-El… and from the laughter, a lot of people got it. That tells me that (some) superheroes have a place in the public consciousness on par with former mythoi.

We’ll leave the bit about fanboys for the Pit, shall we?

So you were ignorant about something and, instead of learning and moving on, decided you’d lash out by repeating the exact same criticism back but with no rationale even offered for why that would make sense? Wow, sorry to have offended your geek creed or whatever, but “I know you are but what am I?” as a reply is pretty lame even on a schoolyard, let alone what’s supposed to be a site for fighting ignorance.

Well known fictional characters is not at all the same as mythic figures of the religious beliefs of various cultures. There’s a whole level there that you just don’t get. When people start thinking Superman and all his made up friends are real and the beliefs and rituals naturally evolve into new forms based upon the inner psychologies of the believers instead of just whatever some writers hired by a corporation push out, then you can start talking about pantheons.

I know lots of people who don’t know much of anything about certain topic like to try to co-opt specialized terms to mean something other than what they really do so they think they have significance that they don’t. Ignorance is ignorance, and it needs to be fought… even if some of the people around here are sensitive about their pet obsessions.

I don’t think I get what you’re angling for. I know you know that the characters and teams from the Marvel and DC universes alone would number in the thousands and that there are severeal handbooks and encyclopedias for them.

How is what you’re asking for different than that?

Because he’s not asking for teams and characters. He’s asking for pantheons.

All the teams and individuals in the DC universe encyclopedia, collectively, are a single pantheon.
All the teams and individuals in the Marvel universe are, collectively, a single pantheon.
The heroes in the Watchmen comics are a single pantheon.
etc.

You’re mistaken if you think everyone who partook of e.g. the GrecoRoman mythos was a true believer. Plus it sounds like you are totally unaware of the co-opting of superheroes by fans in various forms such as fan fiction, and above that, are making the mistake of assuming all mainstream creators are not, themselves, fans.

There’s nothing “specialized” about the word myth. It has a common-sense meaning (make-believe stories of non-human characters) that fits the discussion very well. We’ll go on using it, and you can Pit us for it, if you like, but if you persist in the threadshittinghijack, be sure I’ll report it)

You’re confusing the Greek Pantheon with mythic heroes like Hercules, Perseus, et cetera. Hercules was a protagonist in a story, not the object of worship of a cult. I’ll grant you the lines get blurred because Greco-Roman heroes were almost invariably related to the Gods, but there is a distinction to be drawn between Zeus and Odysseus. Don’t let the use of the word ‘pantheon’ in the OP and Little Nemo’s post confuse you.

The notion that Superman, Batman and the others are the modern equivalent of Hercules, Perseus, and the like goes back many, many years and has been espoused by a lot of people. So your aspersions on “fanboys” are misplaced, and your self-righteous tone is unwarranted.