Comic book profit margin question

Disclaimer: geekisms ahead.

I was a pretty solid comic-head for a while. Not insane, but I was taking maybe seven or eight titles monthly, with extras and miniseries and one-shots thrown in. I quit my monthly habit, finally, cold-turkey. It was hard giving up my Hellblazer (ten years!), but I done did it.

Of course, I’m still a geek, and I’m still buying some titles on a whenever basis (mostly humor mags, like KoDT and Nodwick). I’m also buying some trades, and therin lies my question.

If I want to support an indie, like Aardvark/Vanheim or Dork Storm, and assuming that I’m only going to buy the comic in one format, am I doing more good by buying a trade paperback, or the monthly ish? Which medium makes more money for the publisher?

Just one little bump. Just one. Promise.

It seems to me that buying individual issues would make the publisher (and the artists, as well) more money.

Depends in part if it’s self-published or not. Aardvark-Vanaheim, for instance, all the loot goes to Dave and Gerhard anyway, so I don’t know that it matters, with one caveat (see below)

Per Kurt Busiek, for many, MANY other books (Astro-City, for example), the writer makes tons more loot from the TPBs.

But I’ll add that if enough individual issues aren’t bought, the chances of a TBP diminish greatly: who wants to do a TPB of an book where the individual issues didn’t sell?

Fenris