Coming soon, a new gender-neutral bathroom: David Koch's grave

A Koch gets a pass for a lifetime of shitbaggery neither by philanthropy nor by dying.

Fuck you, Shodan.

Regards.

And Nova has been ever so much more entertaining without climate change being worked into every episode. :rolleyes:

And you’re Shodan. I’m still coming out ahead in the bigger picture.

Another grave, for me to hopefully piss on some day. Koch can rot in hell.

“People don’t become better when they’re dead; you just talk about them as if they are. But it’s not true! People are still assholes, they’re just dead assholes!” – Lemmy

What wolfpup said, and I have to add:

What I do remember from past discussions is that even when he was so helpful of educational programs like NOVA or other charities, they came with strings attached and things like museum exhibits were compromised by allowing very misleading items, added most likely to follow guidelines from donors like Koch.

There is also the avoidance of tackling subjects that were not ok by Koch, on that I do clearly remember a past discussion from a climate change contrarian in the SDMB that declared with all the confidence in the world that climate change was not so important because NOVA had not talked about it. :rolleyes:

What took place was that the last time NOVA dealt directly with the issue was a show in the 1980’s, and when it was more specific the show was released as a Frontline show in 2000:

Frontline and NOVA: What’s Up With The Weather?

What was noticeable? The funding then was reported to be just the PBS stations and “people like you”. not Koch.

Then later some shows came with titles like “Extreme Ice” that did deal more fairly with global warming, but anyone checking for information on synopsis or titles would miss it. What I concluded is that even PBS had to make the titles and the information given to be as bland as possible (as giving others no sense of urgency even if the issue was reported or implying that the changes are natural, and not pointing to what the humans are doing now) because of the sponsor they had.

This clip from another NOVA episode shows that even experts that do know for sure reported many times about how humans need to stop polluting were edited to just blandly agree with the misleading point of the show that the earth will change its climate but that it is a mystery why and when the earth’s climate will change.

In reality, eventually the climate changes by natural causes too, but the evidence now shows that humans are the ones changing it nowadays. More recently NOVA did better with Extreme Ice, but it is clear to me that the title and other moves made to report what the show dealt with were made so as to not attract the ire or intervention from Koch and other deniers in congress.

Extreme Ice really sounds like an Extreme sport and it almost look like a tittle designed to sandbag the show. If anything though, it lead a poster to not notice that NOVA had reported on the issue.

It seems that half the programs I see on PBS were sponsored in some way by the Koch brothers. Because one of them is most likely a closeted gay man (he’s never married, among other things), it may also explain, at least in part, why PBS, or at least my local channels (yes, channels! :cool: ) has seemingly morphed into another Logo channel without commercials.

I don’t believe in hell, except for the one we’re creating here through climate change, so I wish both Koch brothers would live forever.

If you’ve never married and you own 50 billion dollars, you’re not a closeted gay man — you’re a discreet gay man.

If you’ve never married and you own 50 billion dollars, you’re not a closeted gay man – you’re a man who wants to keep his 50 billion dollars. :wink:

Um, so PBS is the Gay People’s Network? :confused:

This can hardly have pleased creationists, unless the exhibits specify a rather short timeline.

Most creationists are not dinosaur-deniers. The more enlightened ones are willing to acknowledge that dinosaurs did exist a few thousand years ago, and provided useful services for early man. Cite: The Flintstones.

:rolleyes: This from the guy whose response to a thread about a touching story of the death of a bedridden woman after bidding farewell to her beloved horse in the hospital parking lot was to snark “Did they upgrade her condition to ‘stable’?”

Yeah, I don’t think we need to take very seriously advice from the likes of Shodan about “classiness” in reacting to obituary news.

But…I’ve been saving all my urine in jars for when Moscow Mitch dies.

Wow, what a total asshole. Good to know that Shodan is the sort of poster who’d rather preen his depraved concept of “humor” rather than demonstrate any sign of compassion or human decency. But he’ll be right in your face if you say anything not-nice about any of the Koch brothers.

Not to defend Shodan because he can eat all the shit, like with a ladle maybe ; but it’s absolutely possible to do gallows humour while feeling compassion and empathy. If anything, gallows humour helps dealing with the pain and absurdity of tragedy. We can, and probably should, laugh at any and everything - including death. Death certainly doesn’t refrain itself from playing cruel jokes.

This is true, but it’s a very fine line to tread and the only sort of person who can pull it off in even the best of circumstances is someone whose empathy is unquestionable and beyond reproach, not a random asshole who just chided us to “be classy” with regard to one of the most dangerous reprehensible selfish self-serving plutocrats of modern times. Furthermore I’m a little sensitive right now because someone I know is totally heartbroken over having to put down a beloved horse. It’s not the same situation but it speaks to the powerful bond that exists between people and their animals, particularly dogs and horses. There is no way that Shodan’s comment there was anything but insensitive assholery.

All humans compartmentalize, but I think the right wing folk are particularly good at it, in particular the fundamentalists (how else can they support Trump?).

So they see Koch supporting the GOP and ignore the other stuff - he’s a hero!

So who inherits his senators?

Koch’s “activism” harmed people who didn’t have the money and power to fight back, and he knew it. Sorry, but as I’ve put it before, if you want people to show you respect in death, don’t be a shithead when you’re alive.

Yeah, I’ve noticed this with Shodan. He gets on his high horse (no pun intended), but doesn’t seem to mind being an accidental prick.