Commercials That Suck Ass, Mid-August 2006 Edition

Yeah. I think he owns the company, or maybe he’s the CEO. Which sorta makes it funny when doofus hemi guy says “Actors!”, cuz he’s not an actor. But it’s not funny enough that the ads should be on all the freakin’ time.

I think it was Chrysler that bombarded us with ads last year too. That makes me think the marketing director is sleeping with whoever writes the checks.

Those Orbit gum commercials with the “Dirty mouth? Clean it up!” bug me. In one, a woman is dumping a potted plant over her head, gobbling up the dirt. I mean, WTF?

Also, that little doofus boy berates Dr Z for forgetting the Hemis! Um, no he didn’t. The question Dr Z answers is BESIDES HEMIS, what else do these trucks offer? Continuity, people! It’s a freaking 30 second ad! You should be able to keep continuity in a 30 second ad!

fuck

A commercial doesn’t work unless there’s something in it that makes it stick in your mind. They try lots of ways to do that – making it cool, or sexy, or funny, or weird. Or sometimes just plain annoying. (You’ll probably never try Head-On, but you’ll never forget it exists.)

Perfume ads are especially laughable – real life at its best is nothing like those hallucinatory fantasy vignettes – but face it, how else can you advertise a perfume on TV? The only thing that really distinguishes one from another is the smell, and they haven’t perfected smellovision.

This company also makes a hemorrhoid treatment called ‘FREEDhEM’ (no, really) and in this area they usually run the two ads back-to-back…twice. Unfortunately, they deviated from the brilliant marketing strategy of ‘Head On’. I so wanted to hear them say, “FREEDhEM! Stick it right up your ass!”

I’m saddened that Aspercream changed their tag line. It used to be, “You bet your sweet As-percream.” Now it’s, “You bet if it’s As-percream.”

Apply directly to your ass!

Apply directly to your ass!

Those idiotic “gellin” commercials from Dr. Scholls convince me that I will never, under any circumstances, buy anything whatever from Dr. Scholls.

I despise those commercials for deodorant body spray (TAG and it’s ilk) that act as though women are not really rational, thinking individuals. They are all ravenous, sex-crazed vixens waiting to be unleashed by… some twenty-something guy with a can of aerosol body spray.

Oh, believe me, I know. I work in broadcasting. Doesn’t make them any less annoying.

And can someone please pull Charo off the Geico ads? I would much rather see the gecko than that frightening hag.

I don’t mind the Herr Dr., but do they have to put (Dr. Z) after his name (Dr. Dieter Zetsche)? Like you couldn’t figure out why he would be called that? I guess the rule is never overestimate the intelligence of, well, anyone watching TV.

Capital One brought back the barbarians.

Baby Jesus is crying up a storm. :frowning:

There was one good one - where the guy kept on accumulating women throughout the night. When the alarm went off, the horse one rode stepped on it, and we see them all scattered in his hotel room.

The rest suck - especially the one where the women do pole dances on the drain from the guy’s shower. Not only offensive, since when does one drain run all by itself down apartments below?

I don’t even know what service this is for, but I cannot stand those commercials that have a person who is supposed to be … bored, I guess, who starts making other people to do weird things for the entertainment value. That value, btw, is nil. (One commercial has this happen with the people riding a bus, another one is set at a party). The very first time I saw one, I thought the set up could possibly be a little cute or humorous – I think one of the people has to do a funny dance, which I’m willing to admit could be funny. But most of the actions are things that are 1. not at all entertaining, and 2. weird things no one would actually want to do in the first place. These commercials also bring out the snob in me, because all I can think is Hey people, there’s this HIGH TECH portable thing that can entertain you – it’s called A BOOK. (Sorry to go down that path after the recent Pit thread. Another option for entertaining yourself at a party is to chat with another person.)

Merck (I think) is also running one of those faux-PSA pharmaceutical ads about HPV (human papillomavirus) that drives me up a wall. It’s a million women – I’m not even kidding, it never ends – earnestly proclaiming that they never knew about the dangers of HPV and that they are now moved to run out and tell “somebody” and then different women say things like “tell a friend,” “tell my sister,” etc etc The commercial has this tone that the HPV information has been kept secret in Area 51 and we all need to rise up against this conspiracy. I’m all for increasing awareness of women’s health issues, but I hate the premise that I need Merck to provide this information as opposed to say, my health care providers. Also, the ads downplay (I think the short version doesn’t mention this at all) how one gets exposed to the virus – it’s sexual contact – I think if you saw the ad and didn’t know that going in, you’d be left with the assumption that it’s kind of a random thing, and thus scarier.

So do I. :mad:

To be fair, I’d despise those ads a lot less if the product actually worked as advertised . . . :frowning:

A woman stands by her young son as he waits in line for a slide at the local park. Another mother and her brat come up and cut in front of her. She protests to the line cutter but to no avail. She is appalled at the rudeness.

THEN SHE GOES OUT AND BUYS A HUMMER!!!

Yeah, THAT’ll show 'em not to mess with YOU!!!

Exactly what I came in here to mention. Not only this one, but I’ve seen two other in this vein with Burt Bacharach and Little Richard as the “celebrities”. All of whom are looking like death warmed over these days. Did Geico blow so much of their advertising budget on the CGI for the lizard that the only celebrity endorsers they can afford are cast-offs from mid-seventies Hollywood Squares reruns? I expect their next commercial to feature Paul Lynde’s corpse propped up in an armchair next to Marge from Eden Prairie.

Am I the only one who cannot stand that fucking Geiko lizard and his godawful accent? That one gets me immediately turning the channel every time. :mad:

Actually, I was thinking she was still pretty hot for a woman of her age.

I hate those commercials for disposable toilet wands. Who knew my toilet brush was actually a biohazard and that my friends’ estimation of my skills as a housekeeper were substantially lowered by seeing the thing nestled next to my toilet?

I also despise those air freshener commercials in which friends come into the house and express wide-eyed amazement that the house smells so nice. 'Cause, you know, it used to smell like the city dump.

I also hate the majority of commercials which feature children. For some reason, they seem to think we’ll be amused by seeing monstrously ill-behaved children and their parents smiling upon them with bovine benevloence. There used to be this one commercial in which a little boy tortured his sister throughout, to the point of spraying her and her friends with a super-soaker while they were playing in the house. I wanted to beat that kid.

Oh, yeah, the filthy obnoxious (and yet charming and adorable!) kid ads drive me crazy. There was one a while back where a kid was plowing through a huge plate of some really messy food – spaghetti? BBQ ribs? I don’t remember – and throwing his soiled napkins behind him as he kept wiping off his face. Eventually there was this mountainous pile of soiled napkins on the kitchen floor. And I am thinking, is this a commercial for washcloths, or what? I actually have no idea what it was a commercial for. But it grossed me out.