[QUOTE=SNenc]
Great, great thread.
And NDP is right… it’s very in vogue among hipsters to be an afficionado of 60s pop, particularly girl groups… as you will now see.
Hipster cred: I read Pitchforkmedia.com, I go to at least two indie rock festivals a year, I never ever listen to the radio, I have never spent a dime at Wal-Mart, I own A People’s History of the United States, I think 60s pop songs are brillilant (“Be My Baby” is in my all-time top 5), I would have sex with The Arcade Fire and Radiohead were they incarnated as women, I own six pairs of Chuck Taylor All-Stars but have bought none since the Nike merger, and I think hipster girls, with their weird knit hats and striped leggings, etc., are very, very sexy.
Hipster heresies: I think a lot of 21st Century pop songs are also brilliant (“Since U Been Gone”? Best pop song I’ve heard in years.), I think Pavement is ridiculously overrated, I think the good stuff-to-crap ratio among indie films and music is not that different from Hollywood films and major label music <snip>
[/QUOTE]
I’m prety much neck-and-neck with you (especially on “Since U Been Gone” - it always goes on my mp3 player/car mix), but I was going to mention how I thought Radiohead was the most ridiculously overrated band on the planet, with the Arcade Fire just slightly behind them. And I like The Arcade Fire; I just don’t think their music’s anything special. Radiohead, OTOH, sounds like Pink Floyd to me. Which I do not intend as a compliment. Plus, Thom Yorke’s whiny-ass voice grates.
Speaking of Pitchfork, while I read it, too, I’d say that, estimating conservatively, about 85% of the acts they hype are mediocre-to-downright-shitty. I think much of the indie music of the past few years has been jacking itself off into a corner; what the fuck is wrong with writing a catchy song once in a while, rather than striving so hard to “progress” beyond conventional song structures?
Also, Nirvana was pretty one-note (wow, dig those dynamics from loud to soft!) and they didn’t do anything that hadn’t already been done a decade earlier by bands like Husker Du and hundreds of lesser-known 80s indie bands.