Common Cold

Hey,

I looked for this thread earlier and couldn't find one. Now obviously no one here has the antidote to the common cold, because then they'd be a millionaire. But I have this vicious head cold and I can't stop coughing, and I wonder if anyone knows remedies that work. I went to the drugstore and bought over the counter stuff, but my cold just rears back it's head and laughs.

Oh and please say grapefruit juice is good for me, because if not I'm been drinking a liquid that tastes terrible for no reason. Thanks all.

A viral infection characterized by inflammation of the mucous membranes lining the upper respiratory passages and usually accompanied by malaise, fever, chills, coughing, and sneezing

–What I’ve read is that the “Common Cold” is your body’s reaction to one of hundreds of little viruses out there.
And vitamin C is supposed to help. If you have a problem with grapefruit, why not use oranges?

Grapefruit juice is bad for you.

Okay maybe it’s not bad for you but it’s bad for me. It stings my throat when I swallow it and it’s way too acidic for my tummy. If you are drinking it only for the hydration & vitamin C, try grape juice, apple juice or Tang.

All you can do is try to alleviate the symptoms of your cold. Believe it or not, coughing is usually a good thing. Your lungs are tired of swimming in vile mucous & other secretions and they want them out of your body now. From Onhealth.com:

The only cold/flu symptom I ever try to counter are aches & pains. Other symptoms like fever & coughing are actually mechanisms that your body finds useful.

IANAD.

The best treatments out there will cure your cold in a week. If you leave it alone, it could take up to 7 days. Sorry.

That said, there are medications and treatments that alleviate symptoms - decongestants and that kind of stuff - but they won’t cure your cold, just make you feel somewhat less miserable. If you’re lucky.

To quiet a cough that just won’t let you rest, or even think, the best thing over the counter would be a cough suppressent with Dextromethorphan in it. I occasionally recommend one called Delsym, as it’s more concentrated, longer acting, and alcohol-free. You usually have to go to a pharmacy to find it. If you still can’t get enough relief to rest, you could add 25-50 mg of diphenhydramine (Benadryl). But remember, the cough is there to protect and clear your lungs, so the goal is not to knock it out, only to reduce it enough so you don’t feel like you’re gonna die every time you start hacking. That’s about the best you can do with over the counter meds, unless you live someplace where they let you get codiene without a prescription.

And if you’re bringing up lots of purulent or bloody phlegm, or lung pieces, or running a temp of 102 or higher, you might want to get checked out for pneumonia.

Qadgop, MD

There is no such thing as the common cold. ‘Cold’ refers to a group of viruses, of which there are about 200. Therefore, there is no cure.

If you cough more than a couple weeks you need to see the doc as bronchitis may have set in. If you don’t treat it, youll get pneumonia next.

Drink a lot of water or fluids so that the mucus stays thin & you won’t get bronchitis.

I knew you all would be invaluable once again. You all rock!

“And if you’re bringing up lots of purulent or bloody phlegm, or lung pieces, or running a temp of
102 or higher, you might want to get checked out for pneumonia.”

Gross QM.

I just went through that sort of. I used amoxycillin for two weeks with no effect cuz of this ever so resistant bacteria, so I got some Dynabac, a multi-spectrum antibiotic, which was successful. whew.

Biology ain’t always pretty, Handy! Watch it, or I’ll email you my collection of poetry based on discharges, which begins with “Ode to a small lump of green putty I found in my left armpit on a midsummer’s morn”. :slight_smile:

Mind if I begin referring to you as “my foonting turlingdrome”, Quadgop?

I prefer “my favorite bathtime gurgles”

You may also try this goofy-sounding idea that really works.
Pinch your nose closed with a clothes pin (the kind that works with a hinge). Not only will the closed nostrils stop the flow of snot (Heh-heh), but without cool air flowing through the nasal passages, thenose’s temperature will go up to 98.6 degrees, thus killing the infection.
Give it a day or so, and learn to breathe through your mouth.

Interesting note on this. I read recently in Reuters health news that grapefruit juice can either “can either boost or inhibit the absorption of many different types of drugs” In the case of the article, grapefruit juice inhibited absorption of Allegra for more than 24 hours.

So your grapefruit juice may actually be hindering the effects of the drugs you were taking.