Compiling a new "Rules of Acquisition"—join in.

The Ferengi “Rules of Acquisition,” of Star Trek fame, “a numbered series of aphorisms, guidelines, and principles that provided the foundation of business philosophy in Ferengi culture.”

For the hell of it, I’m compiling a new list, with the same ideals, but derived from Earth materials and quotes. And I’m inviting everyone to join in.

The [del]rules[/del] guidelines? Only one “original” rule (i.e. by you) is allowed for every two sourced rules/quotes. A single one-for-one exception can be made.

To start things off:

Pecunia non olet (“money does not stink”)—Vespasian

“If you want to get rich, you start a religion.”—L. Ron Hubbard (Attributed)

[The third quote was going to be from P.T. Barnum, but it appears that most of the good ones attributed to him can’t be positively sourced. Mr. Barnum himself, of course, probably wouldn’t have seen that as much of a problem.]

“Real artists ship.”
—Old Apple Computer internal adage, attributed to Steve Jobs

Anyone else?

It’s not in the right form, but this quote fits the thought process:

“I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific!” - Michael Caine

“Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.” - H. L. Mencken

Substitute whatever federation, empire, or territory for “American” that is appropriate.

You could probably fill out the whole list by quotes from Keynes, but to pick one:

And just to change it up a little

Sequels always make money.
Remakes always make money.
Steal someone else’s idea.

I can’t remember the exact quote from the movie “How to get ahead in Business” but it went something like this. “If there’s nothing good about the product, make something up.”

[QUOTE=Brave New World]
Repeat something 500 time and it will become true.

“Your review hurt me! I cried all the way to the bank!” Liberace

Blood is thicker than water, and money is thicker than either.

For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill. (Richard Clopto)

Lemmie try a jump start with another one…

“Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures, the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind…”—Gordon Gecko, Wall Street