Computer hardware (motherboard, CPU) question

As noted upthread in an example, 1156 processors and motherboards are “current” in that they work fine in a modern machine but they’re also obsolete in that the industry has moved on and stopped producing them. When I built a “cheap” family computer I was basing around an old i3-560 processor, I had to hunt for a week or so to find a motherboard cheap enough make using the processor worthwhile. I found one off eBay but most of the retail boards off Amazon, etc would have cost me more than just buying a comparable 1155 processor and board.

It sounds like a square peg in a round hole problem; a new motherboard simply won’t fit in the new case.

A case probably costs about $50, and new motherboard with CPU another $50-$100. If you did the work yourself, you could build the computer using parts from your old computer for considerably less than $800. However, his quote includes his labor and expertise, and would get you a brand new and very powerful computer that would last for several years. $800 is not an unreasonable price; it will be more durable than a $300 computer off the shelf, but may also be more powerful than you need.

Well, as I’d be replacing both the motherboard and the CPU simultaneously, I’m not sure how this could be a potential problem. As far as I’m getting in this thread, there doesn’t seem to be any reason why a new mobo/CPU wouldn’t work with my existing parts, and it sounds like the repair shop guy was full of shit. Here is my motherboard. It is ATX.

I don’t have $800 for a brand new computer that, as far as I can tell, I don’t actually need. (He also said that their custom builds START at $800. So if I want a powerful machine, it’s more than that.)

So does anyone know of a repair shop in Chicago that could install the parts for me, and troubleshoot if needed, who aren’t full of shit?

All prices are negotiable. Ask specifically about reusing your existing parts. Still, you should expect to pay $150 for parts, plus labor, leaving you in in the $200 to $300 dollar range.

Did you read the OP? That’s exactly what I did. They said it was “impossible,” their words. That doesn’t appear like willingness to negotiate to me. It was their way or the highway.

In any case, I’m still looking for someone who can install and troubleshoot the new parts, so recommendations for someone in Chicago would be greatly appreciated.

With old cases there can be a problem with cooling modern setups, as it’s harder to get a good airflow through it. That doesn’t seem to be a problem with the case you linked too though.

I would have thought that it’s rather the other way around, my new hardware uses much less power,
my new video card came without a fan but is 10x more powerful than the old one…

I think it would not be to difficult for the OP to swap the motherboard himself with the aid of a video,
the problem would be to save the old setup and install the OS new…

I own a shop in California and unfortunately know nothing about the small computer shop environment in Chicago, but I would imagine you have dozens of them within a few miles. Take some pictures with a camera, call a few places, ask if you can email them pictures if they have any questions about sizes or component styles and such. Anyplace who demands to build a new machine, dont call back, you should be able to find someone who will happily do what you are asking for. Depending on prevailing rates plan on paying 2-3 hours of labor for them to strip out old stuff, replace with new stuff, hook everything back up, and reload windows, reload all drivers, java, flash, etc. It is possible to preserve the windows install but it is not the best practice and many shops hate doing it as it tends to result in weird impossible to diagnose problems that guarantee an unhappy customer.

Here ya go: HP ENVY 700-200z Desktop PC
Price $499.99. Various deal web sites (like retailmenot.com) have an additional $15 off coupon available.

The $500 includes 8 GB but you can order up to 16GB for an extra charge. The computer has 4 DIMMs and the 16GB option uses only 2 DIMMs, so I assume you can go up to at least 32GB, but you can verify that yourself.

Oh hey, I lost track of this.

I did find someone, an aquaintance / FOAF – I’ve known him for a while, just had no idea he was a computer guy until the friend mentioned it.

Net result: we reinstalled the OS, and thus far that seems to have resolved the issues. It’s been a few days, so I’m still keeping an eye on it, but I haven’t had any weird stability issues yet. I imagine I’ll have to upgrade the hardware eventually, but as now is not a great time to be dropping that kind of cash (okay, not like it is ever, but still), I’m happy to put that off for a while.

So basically, despite taking an extra day to diagnose the computer, it apparently never occurred to the repair shop to try the simplest solution. Right.

Thanks everyone for the help.