Computer Purchase Advice

My first attempt at this thread (The initial OP was titled “Is this computer over the top?”) obviously had problems- the OP was missing. Here’s my second try:

My wife and I want to purchase a new computer. We’ve looked around and priced several, customized a few, including this package from Dell.

What do you think? Is it too much? The over all price (including an all-in-one photo printer/scanner/fax/copier) totals around $4K.

I realize that’s a lot of money. That’s why I’m asking advice. Here are the details:

Dell XPS 600 Pentium® D Processor 930 with Dual Core Technology (3.0GHz, 800FSB)

Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 with re-installation CD (Windows Vista™ Capable)
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 4 DIMMs
Keyboard: Saitek 104-Key Eclipse Backlit Gaming Keyboard (Ships Separately)
Monitors: 20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
Video Cards: Dual 512MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX
Hard Drive: 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 16MB cache
Floppy Drive and Media Reader: 13 in 1 Media Card Reader and 3.5 in Floppy Drive
Mouse: LOGITECH G5 Laser Gaming Mouse (ships separately)
CD or DVD Drive: Dual Drives: 48x CD-RW Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ double layer write capable
Sound: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D), w/Dolby® Digital 5.1
Speakers: Dell 5650 5.1 100 Watt Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer
TV Tuners and Remote Controls: Dual TV Tuner + Remote Control - watch one channel while recording another
Other Software:
[ul]Microsoft Office Professional- Small Business Ed. plus Access database[/ul]
[ul]McAfee SecurityCenter with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-months[/ul]
Hardware Warranty: 2Yr Ltd Warranty, 2Yr At-Home Service, and 2Yr HW Warranty Support
Premier Warranty Support: Dimension XPS, Specialized Support

What do you think?

Tell us what you and your wife plan to use this computer for.

I come from the school of thought that says there is no such thing as over the top for a computer. As to how much it costs, that’s a different thing entirely.

Here’s a short list of uses:

[ul]music writing/midi software[/ul]
[ul]Convert home video to DVD[/ul]
[ul]Use TV tuner for TiVo-like function[/ul]
[ul]Digital camera photography stuff[/ul]
[ul]Use the computer with the stereo[/ul]
[ul]Miscellaneous office/database work[/ul]

For what you’ve described, it is overkill, especially the dual video cards. I’m assuming that’s an SLI configuration, which won’t be useful for web browsing, word processing or working with pictures/MP3s.

But really, unles you’re into hardcore gaming, that’s a lot of horsepower that will be wasted.

Since, you’re not gaming, you’re quite a bit over the top. The Dell XPS line is actually meant for high-end gaming. As such, there’s an added premium. If you price out a similar computer on their E510 line, it would be considerably cheaper.

A Dual 512MB graphics card is insanely overkill for people not gaming or doing graphics work. Assuming your conversion of home video to DVD is a one-time process, you’re probably better off pocketing the money and taking a bit longer time. (On preview, as what gotpasswords said.)

I too am in the market for a new computer, and I was considering the E510. However, when I was customizing the options, the web site said there was a compatibility problem between the firewire adaptor and the modem. (I would use the firewire adapter to download movies from my digital camcorder). I talked with a guy from Dell, and he said that there weren’t enough slots in the E510 for both a modem a firewire adaptor. I was stunned - that was a total show-stopper for me - a computer that could not be used to connect to the internet and also download from a camcorder. And I don’t want to go up to the XPS line because of the higher cost and insane overkill, as mentioned previously.

I work in IT as a professional and I have built computers on the side. I say 4k for a computer is flat out insane for what you want to do. When friends and family ask me this question, I say as a rule of thumb that serviceable computers start at about $500, really good ones start at $1000 or a little less and anything over $2000 (all inclusive) is strictly unnecessary for a non-gamer, super techie, or graphics person. Those numbers all have exceptions of course but it gives someone a rough idea of the current state of computer pricing in general.

A person that needs a computer over $2000 should be able to fully articulate in intelligent detail the features that they need and will use. That includes the gamers and the graphics people.

There is an extremely steep curve in computer financing. Cutting edge computers may off only small performance advantages over the current mainstream crop yet the price premium for being on that cutting edge is very high. That $4000 computer will likely equal a $1500 computer a year from now. OTOH, the $4000 computers from months ago can be had at about the same price.

And there’s the problem with Dell - they’re still using oddball custom hardware with limited expansion possibilities. The homemade PC I just retired is four years old and was built on a standard Intel motherboard that has a gaggle of USB ports and a Firewire port built in, along with other basics like an Ethernet jack and sound, leaving four slots wide open, waiting to be used.

What’s a modem? :smiley:

Dell is the Apple of Windows PCs. You can either buy an inexpensive PC from them that has minimal ability to be upgraded (compare to the $500 Mac Mini) or an expensive PC that has boundless expansion capacity, but is stupid expensive. (see the PowerMac G5, starting at $2600 without monitor, or $4300 for a configuration similar to what the OP was asking about)

<pulling on the asbestos undies> For a $4000 budget, I’d rather buy a 20" iMac, (2 GHz Intel CoreDuo processor) bump it up to 2 GB of RAM, and spend the leftover $1700 elsewhere. Actually, that’s *exactly * what I did last month.

The keyboard + mouse are overkill too - I’d be more inclined to test out hardware in a store and get what felt the best.

There’s also not a lot of point in getting a CDRW drive. DVDRW drives will write to CDs just fine. If you must get a second drive, I recommend a plain DVD reader, as they’re cheap, and it would facilitate editing, copying, etc.

Way, way too much for what you plan to do with it. You’re paying for power and features you won’t notice at all. Unless you want to play the very latest video games, you don’t need one video card that powerful, let alone two.

I just looked at Dell’s site and put together a powerful Dimension 510 that is still pretty much overkill for what you’re doing, for $1750:

Pentium D 820, dual core (2.80 GHz)
2 gigs RAM
256 meg PCI-E Radeon X600 SE video card
Dual TV tuner card
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic w. Dolby Digital 5.1
250 gig hard drive
DVD burner
20" 2007FPW Widescreen flat panel monitor

If you end up using it to record a lot of TV, you’ll want to add more hard drive space, but it’s not a hard thing to add yourself later, and storage always gets cheaper so it pays to wait until you need it. Ditto a second DVD drive.

I’d buy the printer, keyboard and mouse separately, as you’ll get a better selection and something that is exactly what you want for the same or less money elsewhere. Even with those added it, you’re probably not going to go much above $2000. Huge difference.

I agree with others comments – $4,000 is way too much for what you want to do.

But I’d specifically watch out about getting a printer from Dell. Many of their printers are rigged so that you can only use ink/toner from them. (And of course, that’s more expensive and less convenient to obtain.) Such an arrangement gives an advantage to the company, of course, but there are no advantages to you in this scheme. So why would you want to buy a printer from them?

Thank you all for your advice. I’m grateful to have folk like you who are able to help others.

I also had reservations about buying the printer from Dell, but, for ease have decided to go with it. I also realize there might not be a possibility for system upgrades, but hopeully this will be sufficient for our needs.

After considering everyone’s advice (and the advice from several real-life IT coworkers + my own research), here’s the new system:

Dell Dimension E510 Series Pentium® D Processor 930 with Dual Core Technology (3.0GHz, 800FSB)

Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 (Windows Vista™ Capable)
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (4x512M)
Keyboard and mouse: Dell USB Keyboard and 2-button USB mouse (comes with system)
Monitor: 20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
Video Card: 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory
Hard Drive: 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 8MB cache (this was the largest non-raid drive available)
Floppy Drive and Media Reader: 13 in 1 Media Card Reader and External USB 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Network Card: Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet
DVD Drive: Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability
Sound: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D), w/Dolby® Digital 5.1
Speakers: Dell 5650 5.1 100 Watt Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer
TV Tuners and Remote Controls: Dual TV Tuner + Remote Control - watch one channel while recording another
Software:
[ul]Microsoft Office Professional-Small Business Ed. Plus Access database[/ul]
[ul]McAfee SecurityCenter with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-months[/ul]
[ul]Roxio Creator Dell Edition and MyDVD Plus (DVD+RW only)[/ul]
[ul]Dell Digital Entertainment Premium Entertainment Pack -Deluxe PLUS advanced photo editing[/ul]
Warranty:
[ul]2Yr Ltd Warranty, 2Yr At-Home Service, and 2Yr HW Warranty Support[/ul]
[ul]Dell On Call, 30day, Getting started Assistance, unlimited incidents[/ul]

Opinions? (Yes, I know that’s a dangerous request. :smiley: )?