Computer Reboot Problem

I’m running Vista. Over the weekend my computer wouldn’t boot up. After turning it on, I would get the black screen with the moving green bars at the bottom, which would go on forever. So I turned the computer off, turned it back on, and got the screen where I was asked if I wanted to start normally, or in repair mode. I picked repair mode. After it was over, the computer turned off automatically. Upon turning it on, I was stuck with the original problem. I tried this process again with the same result.

So, I figured I need some professional help and went to the Geek Squad at Best Buy. If I read the sign correctly, they won’t even look at your computer until you for over $69. Thats when I tried to reboot myself one more time, and this time there were no problems. I know you don’t have much to go on, but what might have been happening here, and what can I do in the future if this problem occurs again?

If I were you I would open up the case and clean out as much dust as possible, then reseat all the memory, and check all cable connections. That can’t hurt and may fix whatever was the problem.

I opened it up and cleaned, and that’s when the problem started! Reseat means what?

“Reseat” means to remove and replace all the memory chips - or at a bare minimum check that they are correctly placed in their appropriate slots. It’s possible they could have worked loose over time, or that some dust and grime is interfering with their connection to the motherboard.

Aha! You may have messed up some connection while you were poking around inside the computer. Note that when you dust be sure to not suck loose anything. I generally use compressed air and a vacuum to suck up the dust as it blows off the machine.

I thought of that, but I don’t think so. All I did was use the compressed air, and I didn’t touch anything except for the fan blades.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is my modem had a problem “recognizing” the PC. I.e., the PC light wasn’t turning on, and I couldn’t connect to the net. But now that is fine too.