Condos for $115.00??

Good Morning All!

While at work last night, I was listening to my micro-recorder on which I taped a talk show earlier in the day. And so I was delighted to hear an advertisement come on in which a condo place, only a block away from my place, stated: “Woodrun codominiums (on south street); prices start at $115.00 with buyer incentives. Call today [phone number]. Woodrun condominiums, the run is over, home at last.”

I would like to know whether or not if they did in fact make a mistake in the price stated, do you think one could legally hold their feet to the fire and force them to honor their ad?

I regard myself as a very ethical and fair guy; however, these bloodsuckers in this area of the U.S. never give us working schmucks a break – always jacking the rent up each time the lease expires. (That last time was particularly brutal!)

If I can, I would like to buy 4 or 5 of them at said price (as I’m broke at the moment and can’t afford more). But I fear that when their offiice opens in a couple of hours and I state (over the phone) that I want several of them, they might shoot back that there was an error in the ad and that the case is closed. I would love to hear the thoughts of any of you folks knowledgeable on these sorts of things. :wink:

Oh, incidentally, several years ago I was at a store and took a crockpot to the register and was told that it was more than the sign on the shelf (from where I took it) said it was. But the store lady went and looked at the price I saw and said that I’d get it for that price because, she told me, “it’s the law” to have to sell it when an incorrectly marked sign offers it for a lower price.

My plan is to call the outfit as soon as they open and, of course, record the conversation … while trying to avoid mentioning the ad’s quote by saying something like, “I want 5 of them at the price that was mentioned on yesterday’s radio ad, okay?”

Again, if they did make a mistake I’d feel terrible to exploit the opportunity; but then at the same time, I can still recall what I was told when I told my landlady that it was a hardship for me to have my rent raised so much (had to cancel my cable) … therefore I’ll just have to suffer and go for this once-in-a-lifetime deal if the law is on my side.

It’s such a dog eat dog world. :smiley:

Thanks in advance for your advice/comments, if any.

Most likely the price quoted is made clear (in the fine print or fast-talk patter) as the monthly payment due each month on the sales contract for the condominium after you have put a $90,000 down payment on its purchase, or some such.

Did they clearly say One Hundred Fiifteen dollars or was it more like Prices start at One Fifteen?

In this area of the country a lot of condos are for sale, and the ads state: “Prices start in the low 200’s.” It’s automatically assumed that that means $200,000.00.

The ad, which I stil have on my recorder, says “one-hundred-and-fifteen dollars.”

Per square foot price?

Well, I just talked with the young lady and she said that they’re selling them for $115-thousand.

I told her that the ad says $115 but I didn’t see the point of getting into a shouting match with her. (Though if a bunch of you folks had responded with a “You got 'em!” to my post, I might have.)

Sorry for all the fuss. Enjoy the FIRST DAY OF SPRING!!!:slight_smile:

(bolding mine)

Sorry to shatter your dreams of becoming a condo landlord, but wouldn’t that “pricies start at” get them off the hook? They never actually said that they will sell you on at $115. In the absolute worse case, couldn’t someone say “Yes, prices started at $115, but that was good only for closings within the first 5 minutes after the ad ran?”

No, you never has a shot in hell of getting a condo for $115. The issue has come up earlier on the SDMB where online internet stores mismarked prices by less than an order of magnitude, like offering a $600 computer for $175 and people snapped them up. Courts generally decided that the contract was non-binding because the store hadn’t appropriately entered into the contract with an actual intention of selling the item at $175, and had only done so by mistake.

So, I suspect you wouldn’t have a prayer trying to enforce a price three orders of magnitude off the actual price.

I just looked in the yellow pages … there are a gazzion attorneys listed and I gotta think that more than a few would love for me to come into their office and hear for themselves the ad on my recorder. If nothing else, I’m sure I could sue them for “emotional duress” (and considering what duress these renters around here have subjected me to via their greed, maybe I should reconsider things … after all, didn’t someone once say “Nice guys finish last”?).

benny, I think you mean distress, not duress. And I doubt you’ll find a lawyer to take your case, but good luck!

I hate to admit it, but you’re right. My dictionary says you’re right. (Boy do I feel stupid. :frowning: )

I don’t want the bad karma that would go along with hooking up with some weasel lawyer, so I’ll not even bother trying to gyp someone out of a condo. :wink:

Sorry, you’ve got no grounds. Look up what is meant by invitation to treat

Just because a product is advertised at a particular price doesn’t mean they are obliged to sell it at that price. They can raise or lower the price at will, or refuse to sell at any price, and you can’t make them sell.

There are laws against false advertising, and they could be in trouble if they deliberately misrepresent the price. But there is no way to make them honour it.