Confessions of a good movie

I really enjoyed Confessions of a Dangerous Mind when I saw it this evening. If an animated kangaroo does not meet your tastes in a movie then I would recommend this one.
My biggest gripe: I think that there was too much man-butt in the film. (My wife agreed on this point as well.)
Is anyone inclined to believe that some of this might have been true in regards to Mr. Barris?

Great movie! Everybody involved did a great job–and that includes Julia Roberts. For a first time director, Clooney did a bang up job. He and Soderberg have obviously been hanging around a lot together. He was able to pull great performances out of all of the actors.

There was an awful lot of man-butt.

I enjoyed the movie but I also could have done without the man-butt. Come to think of it, George Clooney showed an awful lot of his butt in Solaris. Maybe he’s got a thing for the butt shots.

I enjoyed the movie, but it was slow-paced and I almost fell asleep. Plus, I never really grew up watching his shows.

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. I’m not sure if any of it was true, Anise has the theory that he thinks this happened, but he was having a mental break. Anyway, I liked it. Not really worried about the butt shots, because a lot of that was described in the book. Figured it would be there…

There was an awful lot of nakedness, and that’s not including the scenes (e.g. Rockwell masturbating in the shower) that got edited out. Even though I’m too young to have seen any of the shows when they aired originally, I LOVED the film. It was like a hilarious, slightly disturbing dream. Rockwell was amazing (the shot of him dancing and clapping during the Gong Show sticks in my mind), and Clooney did a great job. Even Barrymore, who I usually don’t care for, was perfect in her flaky role.
As for whether or not any of the CIA stuff really happened, I think it’s pretty safe to assume the answer is No. Barris said so in an interview with Connie Chung a while back (and has since recanted). I don’t even think he ever intended for it all to be taken seriously, as more than a cry for attention or an attempt to be remembered for something other than The Gong Show I thought the very last shot of Barris as an old man pretty much summed it up.

I thought it was great. I enjoyed it equally as well as Catch Me If You Can, not as much as Chicago. (I haven’t seen Adaptation or About Schmidt or GONY yet… so I can’t make any comparisons there.)

My g/f thinks he was possibly schizophrenic, making this movie akin to A Beautiful Mind… but w/o the revelation that he was actually sick. I think he just wrote a work of fiction that he thought a few people would read, and he could live somewhat vicariously through his words.

If he had really been in the CIA, wouldn’t they have figured out he was writing the book and found a way to stop him? I really enjoyed the movie, particularly the parts with the Gong Show, which aired Before My Timetm .

I have no idea whether there is any truth to the claim that Barris ever worked for the CIA, but regardless, this was an incredible film!
The cinematography was so effective. Lighting was often slightly distorted, which I felt was done in order to allow the audience to feel as though they are viewing the film at a slightly “skewed” perspective.
The use of light and darkness in order to focus on one person, or one feature (lots of eyes, and mouths surrounded by darkness), was so great!
I think I’ve now got to include this film up there on my list of favourites…

If Barris was a hitman, and the CIA operated the way he claimed it did, wouldn’t he have been rubbed out or silenced when they caught wind of his book.

I liked the film overall, Clooney did a better job than most star actors turned directors. I’d be interested to see him direct other films. The cast was great, even Roberts and Barrymore, who usually grate on my nerves. Nice to Rutger Hauer in a real movie again using some acting muscles. But Sam Rockwell in the Gong Show scenes was dead-on. I remember the show from my childhood and reruns, and Barris was like some kind of Pied Piper to me when I was little (yes I know that’s pathetic). For a few minutes there Rockwell ready took me back.

Haven’t seen the movie, yet, but:
The story was never supposed to be taken seriously. It was a work of fiction. Note that the complete title is “An Unauthorized Autobiography,” which is the first clue that it’s a joke. As Barris described it, critics and the public were constantly criticizing him for doing all kinds of horrible things, when all he was doing was making TV shows. He wrote a fictional work saying basically, you think “The Gong Show” and “The Newlywed Game” were so horrible, it’s not as if I were murdering people.

And also, it was originally published in 1982, when Barris was still relatively popular and well-known. It’s not as if it were demented reminiscing or a desperate last-minute grab for attention; it’s just that it took them a very long time to finally make a movie of it!

I have killed 33 threads. I am damned to hell.

Anyway, I finally saw this tonight. Very well done, all around. I guess I’d rate it like Being John Malkovich on my personal appreciation scale – I thought it was well made and pretty interesting and innovative, but I didn’t love it, and won’t see it more than once. (And I didn’t think it was good as Being John Malkovich, but close.) Also:
[ul]
[li]It’s clear that George Clooney has been carefully studying Stephen Soderberg. It was an almost slavish reproduction of a Soderberg movie. Still, that’s not a bad thing, and it was competently done. There were plenty of self-conscious This Is A Meaningful Independent Cinematic Production moments, but just enough to catch your attention, and not enough to ruin it.[/li]
[li]I totally agree about the excessive use of ass. I can understand the whole hit-rock-bottom, naked, bearded, and dissheveled in a hotel room angle, but this went from “setting the scene” to a “major thematic element.” diku, you said it was in the book? How much does the man linger writing about his own ass?[/li]
[li]The scene with the hotel cleaner was funny, though. [/li]
[li]I didn’t think they used the f-word so much in the early fifties. They knew about it, of course, but didn’t throw it around so casually, did they?[/li]
[li]Drew Barrymore shouldn’t do silhouette shots. It just plays up that Jay Leno chin that you don’t usually notice. But she was still cute as hell and dead-on perfect in the part. She’s one of the few people in Hollywood who’s so charming that she could be in just about anything and I’d watch it and enjoy myself, even if I knew I shouldn’t be. [/li]
[li]My favorite line was as they were leaving training and Barris says, “All right, Jack! See you, Lee!”[/li]
[li]Sam Rockwell was perfect in “The Gong Show” recreation segments. I’m glad they showed The Dancing Machine, because those were the parts of the show that showed that the whole thign was mostly good-natured fun, and they weren’t just making fun of all the contestants.[/li]
[li]Of course, they should’ve shown more of the trashier moments from the shows, too, or else it’s not that clear why people hated him so much. The bit with the Playmate seemed to come out of left field.[/li]
[li]The whole “up the ass” scene from “The Newlywed Game” was just “off.” Sure, it’s a famous urban legend, and yes, the original footage was found recently, but the way it was presented just dumped the movie back into TV Movie Biography mode.[/li][/ul]