Configuring Microsoft Fax to answer multiple rings - can it be done?

One of the big reasons I took the trouble to switch over to XP Pro was that I figured I could just have the computer answer all of my faxes and not have to waste paper (and ink!) with the thousands of junk faxes that seem to come in each day. However, I was dismayed to find that the damn thing will pick up no matter what comes in on the line. You see, I have one of those “linebacker” deals wherein I have two separate phone numbers and they are differentiated by different ring patters.

My several-years-older-than-XP-Pro fax machine knows the difference between one ring and three. But XP doesn’t seem to. There’s got to be a way…doesn’t there?

Failing that, are there any other good services that I could use? I know of some free ones, but I have the sinking feeling that they spam the sending fax machines to make up for letting you get some free fax-to-emails.

You are apparently referring to distinctive ring. Inexplicably, Microsoft chose not to provide support for it in XP. There is a considerable discussion about it here, along with some workarounds and other useful suggestions. One of the more highly-praised solutions was this one:

Hmmm. I don’t have that modem, nor W2000, but some of the other stuff in that thread was helpful. Hopefully, I didn’t just set my modem to dial in Al-Qaida or anything.

Thanks for the information. I’ll let you know if it works.