Confusing product names

“Chicken of the Sea” isn’t chicken.

“Fruit of the Loom” has nothing to do with fruit. I never could understand what fruit had to do with underwear.

Oh, the output from the loom is cloth, used to make underwear. Long stretch for a brand name.

What else comes to mind?

This does not work well for sex.

Chicken fried steak is not cooked by chickens.

Cue old jokes about “baby food” and “baby oil”.

There’s an antifreeze called Peak and at least used to be a toothpaste by the same name. I could imagine a dimwit picking up the wrong one.

Chock Full O Nuts is a brand of coffee and contains no nuts.

Tiger’s Milk Bars do not contain the milk of any large striped feline.

Likewise Grape-Nuts, which also contain no grapes.

Nor nuts.

That one was explained in one of my books. It does taste nutty. The inventor thought it contained glucose also known as ‘grape sugar’. Grape Nuts it is then.

Miracle Whip is not a miracle, or even whipped.

I disagree. It’s somehow bland and tangy and chemically all at once. Truly, a miracle.

A peanut is neither a pea nor a nut. It’s a legume.

Butternut brand bread contains no butter, no nuts, and no butternuts.

Scalloped potatoes contain no scallops.

German chocolate cake is not from Germany. It’s apparently named for Samuel German, owner of a chocolate company.

Likewise Butternut branded coffee lacks all those things.

Contains no Germans either. At least not according to the standard recipe. The (in)famous Lechter Variation notwithstanding.

Northwestern University isn’t in the Northwest.

I tried to place an online order for a dark NA beer over the course of a few months but it always said, “All Out”. I finally called in frustration to ask when it would be available and was told it was in stock. It turned out the name of the beer is “All Out”.

EB eggs don’t mean the Easter bunny signed them. Altho’ I told the grandkids it did.

Kinda worked, too. Yay! Nana, for being a quick wit, that one time.

Cadbury Eggs are not eggs! Do not try to make an omelette with them.

None of Northwest Airlines’ hubs were in the Northwest (At one point I think they did have quite a few flights out of Seattle, but I think think they ever considered it a hub).

Meanwhile, the airline that does have its main hub in Seattle is… Alaska Airlines. You can fly between many places in the lower 48 states on Alaska Airlines. You can even fly from the lower 48 to Hawaii on Alaska Airlines.

Southwest Airlines flies all over the US, not just the Southwest.

Cue old joke about the Virgin Islands. . .