Congratulate me! I can still remember where I went to college!

There’s a nice, sweet thread elsewhere with a title like this in which Big Kahuna Burger talks about his impending college days with excitement and a lovely sense of hope and trust.

And of course it made me feel about a hundred.

So, having been reminded by the estimable BKB, I wish to share that at this point of my life tertiary education seems harder than ever to cheer for, but more important than ever to preserve. It’s such a mixed bag; a variable, frustrating yet vital part of our world.

The good - the ideas, the clear-eyed, demanding examination of accepted wisdom, the birth of new paradigms, the energy, the confidence of the young, the attractiveness of youth, and the over-arching sense of potential everything. Whatever it is these are the people who’ll fix it.

The bad - the arrogance, the unwillingness to listen to what older people have experienced, the tutors and lecturers whose flights of fancy about the workplace and suchlike environments engender naive book-learnin’ robots, the unforgiving critic, the inability to grasp the fuzzy and idiosyncratic ways of real life.

However, things are obviously changing.

When I went to university, nobody issued a by-sex breakdown of the student body, and for that information to be adjusted so as to exclude those confusing, but helpful-to-redress-the-balance homosexuals is passing amazing.

And do I really remember? Of course. It was Victoria University of Wellington, in New Zealand.

And Professor Don McKenzie of the English Department was the man who changed my life by opening my eyes, showing me how to read, and stimulating me to explore English Literature.

Thanks for the reminder Burger old mate…

Redboss

Redgrandpa, you old fart ! :wink:

If I ever make it to a MelDope, I’ll buy you a walking cane : insert cheeky grin here :
I must say, I disagree slightly. When a student of Macquarie Uni (straight out of school) your description fit perfectly, but I have found that the majority of distance students at Charles Sturt University (Wagga campus) are completely different, and it gives the classes and campus a totally different feel. Most of the students seem to be older (35+) and either needing further qualifications in their field, or are switching fields and beginning something new. There is an amazing bank of experience from all different walks of life and the sort of discussions that go on here can be amazing.

Anyway, I would hazard a guess that your description may be correct for the majority of unis, but it definitely doesn’t ring true for mine… probably because the population isn’t primarily young gits straight out of school.

What is this “College” phenomenon that you speak of? I’m missing a few years between “School” and “Rest of Life”. Any ideas, please let me know.

sniff Nobody’s ever called me “estimable” before.
Wait, that’s good, right?
[goes to dictionary.com]
Oh OK. Thanks Redboss.
[resumes youthful pursuits]