Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene MUST GO

It’s not just it’s better them than us; it’s also that the Republicans in Congress should be the ones acting, not the Democrats. Let her remain as a reminder that the Republicans have devolved even from two years ago, when they stripped Steve King of committee assignments for wondering why white supremacy is a bad thing (“White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?”). So now two years later, they’re awarding Marjorie Taylor Greene by putting her on the education committee.

But she defeated a pretty normal guy in the Republican primary.

I just read about Greene’s Jewish Space Laser revelation.

This is a new dimension in looniness.*

As for Rep. McCarthy having a “talk” with Greene, this is a guy who’s still canoodling with Trump, so don’t expect much. A censure vote should be a no-brainer.

*the problem with the linked article is it equates Greene with AOC on the Democratic side. While I find AOC’s views to generally be annoyingly dumb and destructive to a rational party agenda, she isn’t insane.

At this point I am completely happy to define Marjorie Taylor Greene as the public face of the Republican Party, and to shout to the rafters that every single thing she says or believes or tweets (now or in the future) is fully representative of the Republican Platform.

Yes, I know she’s only a junior, recently elected member of the house, however the Republicans and Fox News have taught me that this is absolutely the appropriate response to have. See for example, how Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has been reported on since her election.

ETA: I only equate them in how the media did treat AOC and how they should treat MTG. I agree that AOC is not even in the same league, mental health wise.

She was legally elected and has broken no laws. She’s a nut case but her nuttiness has been confined to what she says, and she has not actually done anything. Yet.

The problem is that the Republican party isn’t mortified.

Except the other public faces of the Republican Party should not get away with using her to shift the Overton window to “normalize” their own shitty and irresponsible behavior.

Many of the more mainstream Republicans, to the extent that there are any of those left, seem to be still convinced that they can ride the Trumpublican tiger. They’ll let Trumpian extremists like MTG serve as the lightning rod for popular outrage, while not openly contradicting her or criticizing her so they won’t get RINOfied by her passionate Trumpist base. At the same time, they’ll try to present their own behavior as “normal” or “legitimate” compared with her extremist nuttiness.

The fact the Republicans in Congress didn’t in effect tell her, “There, there. Go sit in the corner and play with your Crayons,” by declining to assign her any committees shows to me that they have embraced that brand of insanity if not encouraged it.

I have no pity for them.

Except what I already linked shows she has already acted. She’s actively engaging in harassment and threatening colleagues. That’s the whole reason they’re pushing the expulsion.

I don’t think they should have to wait until she actually acts on her threats and hurts people.

She’s doing what her constituents voted her in to do.

You mean like this one?

Your link is to the legislative webpage for Congresswoman Maxine Waters, implying some equivalency. So, please be specific and in your own words; how is Maxine Waters like Marjorie Taylor Greene?

“Equates” isn’t the word that I’d use. As I read it, the point of the article that the Democrats’ “leading mischief-maker” is someone who “advocates some left-wing views I consider simplistic and impractical and, in some cases, poll badly”; while the Republicans’ is a total batshit loony.

In terms of partisanship, better them than us. In terms of the good of the country, it would be better if she were a Democrat so she would be dealt with appropriately by people who reject using racist, conspiracy theorist, mentally-ill-adjacent people, as a political faction with a voice inside the party.

The allegation in the link is that Greene confronted Bush in a hallway and was “loud and unmasked,” and Greene disputes her account. I really don’t want to be in the position of trying to defend this nutjob, but I don’t think the conduct confirmed so far warrants her immediate expulsion. Censure and strip her of committee assignments? Absolutely. But as has been noted, the only instances of a member being expelled were due to treason or taking bribes for official acts.

Of course if additional conduct is confirmed (such as the allegation that she led tours of Capitol insurrectionists to case the place) it could warrant her expulsion. But expelling her now would just make her even more of a QAnon folk hero than she already is. Stick her in an office in the basement of the Longworth Building, kick her off committees, and deny her floor time.

It’s interesting how the GOP’s conservative base tried to brand itself as the party of Israel. In time, I suspect that the pro-Israel right is going to come face-to-face with anti-Jewish right wing populism, which is what Greene seems to represent.

I’m afraid that in the 2028 Republican presidential nomination race, our Marjorie is going to be a middle of the road candidate; There will be plenty of R’s who will ramp it up to out-crazy her.

There is no bottom limit to where we’re going.

Indeed, she’s not the only bat-shit member of congress; she’s one a few, and the number is growing

She is, indeed. Doesn’t mean the rest of us have to pay attention to her.

I kinda like being able to point to MTG as a counterpoint to the endless blather about “AOC is a big silly dumb-stoopy”.