Conjecture: "R2-D2 had Force Powers" (Discuss, Debate)

To be fair, it’s really not that hard to con Luke.

Ah, yes, the many sides of Luke in Episode IV:

“You know about the rebellion against the Empire??” [/childish doofus]

“But that’s a whole nother yeeeeear!!” [/whiny, ungrateful little bitch]

etc. etc. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Hold on there! Where do you think you’re–”

bleep beep bleeeeeep boop beepity beep boop

“Er…Bleep beep bleep, boop beepity beep boop.”

piyoot woooooop

“…Piyoot woop. Piyoot woop.”

–R2-D2, doing the Jedi Mind Trick. Just in case that wasn’t obvious.

It’s better if you imagine him waving his little gripper arm around mystically while beeping.

Are we absolutely certain that there isn’t some sort of organic component in an R2’s construction? Certainly possible that there is an organic quantum computer in there somewhere. If so, then that solves the mito-whatit’swhoses problem.

As far as R2-D2 using the force, I think maybe – but only sub-consciously, to affect his luck.

Then again, I can’t believe I’ve been sucked into a discussion about imaginary robots in an impossible universe. Clearly, the force is not strong in me. :smack:

Clearly, somebody needs to track down Kenny Baker at a con and ask for a blood sample.

I always imagined that if you opened R2 up, right in the middle there’d be a wired-up, disembodied human head.

It’s probably his resemblance to a Dalek that suggested that to me.

OneCentStamp, you’ve either been whooshed, or it’s wikivandalism. It’s pretty well established that Force control is only for organic beings (see C’Baoth in Zahn’s Dark Force Rising trilogy, for one). It is a big deal in the Tales of the Bounty Hunters book that 4-Lom takes it upon himself to try and learn to perceive and use the Force. Or how about the Jedi student of Luke’s (Nichos Mar?) who’s body is dying, and his consciousness is transferred into the body of a droid? He “lived,” but lost the ability to utilize the force.

R2-D2 is unusually lucky. Probability still exists, even in SW’s universe. Add to that the fact that the R2- series is known for independent thinking, creativity, and above-average intelligence. Lastly, he hasn’t had his mind wiped in something like forever, as far as we know (I highly doubt the Naboo got memory wipes for their droids, not if they hold special awards ceremonies for them whenever they do something right*), which would give him a remarkable degree of insight. Unlike poor C-3PO, who’s probably had his mind wiped so many times it’s a wonder he can walk and speak at the same time. :stuck_out_tongue:

And no, it’s pretty thoroughly established (such as in the Essential Guide to Robots) that the droids of Star Wars are purely mechanical. Anything more is still considered a Cyborg. Hell, Guri (Shadows of the Empire; Xizor’s assassin/attendant/mistress/spy) is considered a cyborg and everything about her was created in a lab. For those who don’t know, she’s like a terminator. Droid innards with an artificially made organic exterior (plus, she’s got some sort of cloaking or sheath that conceals her artificiality even under a direct scan, IIRC).

*Dumbest SW scene ever. Nothing Jar-Jar does compares to the “Thanks for being the sole survivor and doing your job, please give him an extra-thorough oil bath!” moment. :rolleyes:

Oops, make that “See C’Baoth’s comments about R2 in…”

Darn edit window.

I have long believed that, due to the extended period without a memory wipe, R2 has gone from a standard AI to true sentience. I seem to recall that it’s implied in AotC that droids are not mass-produced by machinery. Thus, although an assembly line could produce a fairly uniform production run, anomalies like R2 would not be difficult to justify. A demo or beta model with enhanced features that proved to be too expensive or complicated for the factory to make many, or maybe they were prone to develop individuality that was considered undesirable and redesigned. Naboo would then have bought returns and floor models, being rather unwarlike in disposition.

But no Force, I’d say.

Concur. I’m not even sure what the purpose of that scene was, except perhaps to emphasize that this is THE R2-D2 and he’s now a Player Character, to use an RPG term. [/geek]

It’s neither. Star Wars Tales was a comic anthology series telling usually OUTSIDE of canon stories. One of which is the Skippy the Jedi Droid. It’s not meant to be canon but it is still a star wars droid using “the force” in a slightly comical story.

How do we know it wasn’t Luke’s Force powers that blew up the other droid, not R2D2’s?

I don’t know if this has been contradicted, but the way I keep midichlorians in line with my belief in how the force works is this: Midichlorians do not “cause” the force. They are merely a sign of having good force skills.

For this analogy: Charisma=the force, friends=midichlorians. Someone who has a lot of charisma would have a lot of friends. Therefore, if you saw someone and saw they had a lot of friends you could infer that he had a lot of charisma. So, people are drawn to people with lots of charisma just as midichlorians are drawn to individuals with the force. Therefore a high midi count would indicate someone stronger in the force than someone with a low midi count. That’s how I keep it straight in my head without contradicting the hope that anyone could become strong in the force.

Now if anyone could point me where this idea might be contradicted… I would not appreciate it… :wink:

Yep. I have the comic in question, actually (well, I say “have”, it’s in the attic somewhere). They basically took the droid that Owen initially picks and built up a backstory for it. He also levitates things.

I think they were called the Ysalamari. Didn’t that series also introduce the idea of Kortosis metal being immune to lightsabers, or was that established earlier?

I always liked the Zahn books, I love the Talon Karrde character.

Project Mayhem: Tatooine Branch.

You should always say, “Clean oil, please.”

Well, millions of years ago, there was this jedi dinosaur…

…named Quigonosaurus.

They didn’t show it, but I bet that him hitting wamp rats (or whatever) in Beggar’s Canyon was possible due to him using the force.

I can see the droid blowing out as an example. Convincing Luke, no. R2 could be clever without needing the Force to explain it. He is clearly a droid genius, due, I think, to him never being memory wiped, having lots of time to think between episodes, and not resenting it like Marvin.

Maybe Obiwan was crouching on the other side of a hill or something. He did turn up rather conveniently the next day.

Darth Vader did; blocked it with his hand when Han tried to shoot him. In one of the books ( I, Jedi I think ), that kind of energy manipulation is described as a rare talent, which explains why most Jedi use sabers.