Conservatives: What should we do about people who can't pay for medical care?

I disagree with Sage Rat, definitely. In fact, that’s kinda the exact opposite of what most conservatives are after. I’m also very dubious about the finances on his scheme.

I favor some more basic reforms and then seeing where things go. We could get some fundamental fixes. Right now, the medical system has many very stupid properties.

Here’s a few to start with:
(1) Insurance should be able to cross state lines.
(2) Change the tax code to push most predictable, ongoing costs are not covered by insurance. I can see a good argument for the odd checkup, but nowadays insurance covers many optional or easily-anticipated procedures along with drugs, which tends to make them all way more expensive.
(2.5) Insurance should cover, y’know, unexpected and catastrophic damages, just like every other damn insurance in existence. Right now, people want it to cover everything at all, with the result that it ends up costing a hell of a lot more. Insurance deductibles don’t mitigate this very well.
(3) Speaking of which, deductibles need to move towards a percent model.
(4) In the long run, insurance should be divorced from employment.
(5) Accept that people prefer spending more of their money on healthcare, and its happens.

The problem with most healthcare schemes is that they never realize, or try to ignroe, the plain fact that desire for healthcare is immediate and infinite, even more than most goods. Ask anyone who needs it, and they would rather no expense ever be spared. Ask them to pay for it, and its a different story. Unfortunately, society has limited resources, and medical needs are not infinitely valuable. This does not mesh well with the basic feeling people have that everything, including all the best and newest treatments, ought to be available to everyone, right now, for no cost.

That said, the above will mitigate significantly public medical costs. This should make it a lot easier to means-test those who truly do need it. The system has become a huge mess, and the new programs meant to “sort things out”, as usual, are simply going to make it more of a mess. I say this with a certain measure of confidence, because government does not have a good track record in this field. I have a hard time thinking of any such program which did not result in increasing costs and diminishing care, from Tenncare to Romneycare.