Consider This: Maybe Our Increasing "Fatness" Isn't *Entirely* Bad

when we moved to Saginaw, Michigan, from the Kansas City area, we noticed many more very fat people. and then when we came to the Jersey Shore, it seemed that a lower proportion of people here are very fat. they also seem shorter to us. we wondered whether the colder climate and the fact that many people worked on assembly lines contributed to higher weight-more sedentary lifestyle.

we see many, many more people here out on bicycles, running, playing tennis and so forth, all year round. it was a rare sight in our previous environment.

there are many italian, italian-american and japanese restaurants here, as well as vegetarian places and avante-garde bistros and cafes; most common there were mexican-american, country-style buffets, and national franchises where the portions are absolutely gigantic.

mary

I’m not sure if that’s necessarily true, ultrafilter (about the idea that body type won’t make you considered overweight)… I grew up in an area where people tend to be “big boned”, many of whom were part of family farms and such… in studies where 2/3 of Americans are shown to be “overweight”, unless I’m in complete denial, probably don’t take into consideration such things. Perhaps I’m wrong, but the idea that 2/3 of Americans are overweight is rather ridiculous. It’s not surprising that our culture has come to this idea that we’re all overweight. Of course SOME are, but 2/3 is a bit much, at least I think so. Lots of small inconsistencies make rather false conceptions about a study. Which is why I don’t take it seriously, and I don’t think anyone else should, either.

Keep in mind that the percentage of Americans who are overweight varies highly by region, so you can’t really judge by going out and looking around.

Of course, but that’s not quite what I meant, that’s not a point I’m trying to drive, merely a bystand comment.