consuming h2o2 safety

Hey, any idea if the consumption of hydrogen peroxide is safe?
Purchased a product called OXY-GEN liquid antioxidant, which contains the equivilent of 25 drops of h2o2 per serving. Appreciate your help,
Bubbling inside, Wendy

It seems the concentration may be more important than the overall dose - it’s not toxic but can be a painful ‘irritant’ to your digestive tract.

Technical info here - Southeast

I would want to know: 25 drops of H2O2 at what concentration per serving?
Does the packaging state the concentration by volume?

Wait a sec…

Ingesting Hydrogen Peroxide as an anti-oxident?
H2O2 is a great sourceof O2.

How does something which releases oxygen as a decay product act as an antioxidant? :dubious:

Assuming I’ve found your product, http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:7sH59DFqxN0J:www.shopwiki.com/search/OXY-GEN%2BEnergy%2B%26%2BImmune%2BSupport%2BOxygenated%2BLiquid%2BAloe%2BVera%2BSupplement%2B(B0001SR0TU)+“oxy-gen”+hydrogen+peroxide&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

It says "Each ounce of Oxy-Gen contains, as a preservative, the equivalent of 25 drops of 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide derived from a combination of magnesium peroxide and pure anaerocidal oxygen. "

It’s a preservative.

Huh? A liquid antioxidant contains hydrogen peroxide? An antioxidant contains the oxidant hydrogen peroxide. And the name of the product is OXY-GEN. I don’t see any reason to think this product is a complete scam at all.

I see Q.E.D. beat me to it.

You sure that isn’t an anti-anti-oxidant you bought? Hydrogen peroxide is actually a fairly strong oxidant.

Edit:
WarmNPrickly beat me to it.

I smell spam in here…

Maybe it works if you’re a ruminant?

Anaerocidal? that’s a marketing term meaning “bullshit”, right?

It’s certainly not part of the standard scientific lexicon.

Is it trying to say that it will kill off your natural intestinal flora? E. coli & sons?

That’s hardly a good thing.

Hydrogen peroxide is also a rather strong emetic (makes you barf). Oxidant? Anti-oxidant? Immaterial if you can’t keep it down.

It sounds like it’s trying to say that it’s oxygen that’ll kill off anaerobic bacteria, but that’s got nothing to do with special “types” of oxygen,
it’s just how obligate anaerobes are defined: oxygen kills them.

And most, if not all, of our gut flora don’t fall into that category, for the obvious reason that we tend to swallow a fair bit of air when we eat. The gas that comes out the other end still has about 10-15% oxygen, in addition to some methane and the various ketones and aldehydes that impart that distinctive odor.

I’m just reading from the label. Yes it is 25 drops of 35% food grade h2o2.
I am only concerned about whether it is safe to ingest!?
made by TRC labs. If this was spam I would be telling you how great it was.

… so I can clearly not drink the hydrogen peroxide closer to me…

It’s safe. Useless, but safe.

An earlier thread on hydrogen peroxide.

Not to be snarky, but do you have a cite for this? I was told over and over again in my microbiology training that the anaerobic bacteria in the gut outnumber the facultative anaerobes by 1000:1. I’ll try to root something up in my textbooks.

Thanks, more info at

http://www.dfwx.com/answers.htm

not sure how they are selling this OXY-GEN stuff!

Here’s the ingredients: Aloe Vera, Water, Potassium Gluconate and Citric Acid, Less Than 1% Magnesium Peroxide, Pure Anaerocidal Oxygen, Potassium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate Used As Preservatives
Other Ingredients: Purified Water, Crystalline Fructose, Anaerocidal Oxygen, Citric Acid, Natural Flavors, Natural Colors, Potassium Gluconate, Potassium Benzoate (retards spoilage), Potassium Sorbate (retards spoilage), Magnessium Peroxide, Peppermint Leaf, Siberian Ginseng Root, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf, Bee Pollen, Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Gluconate, Suma (Pfaffia Paniculata(Mark.) Kuntze) Root, Citrus Pectin, Selenium Amino Acid Chelae, Chromium Polynicotinate, Myrrh, Grape Skin

Aloe Vera is thought to have some *possible potential *herbal uses internally. “Anaerocidal” appears to be a made-up BS term.:dubious:

I’d say this product is mostly “snake-oil”.:dubious: