Controversial encounters between law-enforcement and civilians - the omnibus thread #2

You’d think, if nothing else, cities and counties would tell their law-enforcement agencies, “Would you knock off shooting every third person you come across? It’s getting expensive paying for your trigger-happiness! Keep it up, and we start cutting your payroll budget and you guys will be watching daytime TV.”

Speaking of being expensive, I don’t think it’s been mentioned in this thread yet, but Aurora, Colorado will be paying the family of Elijah McClain $15 million over his wrongful death at the hands of police and paramedics.

That’s the largest ever settlement over police misconduct in Colorado. Aurora’s insurance will be covering $10 million, and the city will be paying the rest.

Unsurprisingly, the city of Aurora’s insurance premiums have gone up considerably, and will continue to go up.

Next year, insurance premiums for the city are expected to increase by about 35% due to a combination of market trends and an increase in use of force suits filed against the city, bringing the annual total to about $2.3 million, budget analysts told city council members earlier this year. This year, the city’s public liability coverage premium rose about $1.3 million, or 328%, largely because of the city’s current claims, according to city documents.

So if I’m interpreting that incredibly clunky way of stating an increase, Aurora’s insurance cost went from about $570,000 to $2.3 million in two years.

x + 1300000=3.28x
x \approx 570000

Why is it people think being a cop makes one trustworthy?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/maryland-police-officer-accused-of-perjury-misconduct-and-kidnapping-related-to-traffic-stop/ar-AAR3pGX?li=BBnbfcL

Dupree is also facing federal conspiracy charges related to a separate case pending in U.S. District Court. He was indicted over the summer alongside five other police officers who are accused of working together to orchestrate false thefts of their own debit cards or vehicles, and then reporting the fake crimes to law enforcement to collect insurance money.

As of last month, Dupree was still employed by the Fairmount Heights Police Department

Verdict in the trial of the murderers of Arbery. All 3 guilty.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Its a great way to show the blacks on the force what they are worth.

And in total dick news:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/missouri-governor-pats-himself-on-back-for-mans-exoneration-after-refusing-him-clemency/ar-AAR6sAX?li=BBnb7Kz

Here’s some more total dick news:

Clearly not the smartest thing the guy ever did, but what about the story makes him a dick?

His attempt at sexytime was a dick move eh.

And he was allowed to resign. I don’t know about your job, but if I get caught having sex in my cubical, I will get shown the door immediately.

So rape, murder and theft is OK if you’re a cop but consensual sex in a squad car is not.
That makes sense.

One of them is embarrassing.

Using company resources for personal recreation is unacceptable in any business (sometimes even if your job title begins with a “C”) – those other things are just part of the job (you have to demonstrate that you are above the law).

It’s all OK unless someone caught it with a cell phone.

Jesus H Christ guys!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/new-jersey-police-officer-fatally-struck-nurse-with-vehicle-drove-body-to-his-moms-house-reports/ar-AARdjvf?li=BBnbfcL

This sounds like something from a horror movie

Neither Santiago nor Guzman contacted 911 nor tried to assist the victim, the report said. Instead, they traveled away from the scene and back several times before loading Dymka’s body into the Accord and driving the corpse to the home of Santiago’s mother, purportedly to seek advice on how to handle the situation, according to the Post.

Hit her with a car? Shall we compare that to having, consensual, sex with her?

“Dude, we have to get out of here”
“Bro, we can’t just leave her there”
“Shit, shit, shit, let’s just go”
“Okay, load her up. Mom will know what to do, remember how well she dealt with dad?”

Except Dad is the cop who called the cops on his son cop.

“It isn’t what you think. My car hit her so hard that she ended up in the trunk !”