Controversial encounters between law-enforcement and civilians - the omnibus thread #2

He might have had those throwing star things, though.

Or known the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique, so don’t want to let him get too close.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/search-for-ex-cops-two-missing-kids-ends-with-all-4-dead/ar-AAQSpzt

[CBS News]) in Baltimore reports the bodies of former officer Robert Vicosa, his 6-year-old daughter Aaminah and her 7-year old sister Gianna, as well as that of Sgt. Tia Bynum of Baltimore County, were discovered in an SUV in west Maryland, killed by gunshots.

Vicosa was fired from the Baltimore County Police Department over the summer. Authorities believe Bynum, who was still a Baltimore County cop at the time of her death, had helped Vicosa evade arrest. She had been suspended during the course of the investigation.

Just a few months ago, both were Baltimore Police officers. I’m thinking there is something a bit lacking in their screen process.

In Muncie, IN, a high school has switched to virtual learning for three days now because the school cop was triggered by a student’s book report on V For Vendetta.

It’s the same screening process they’ve always used. Too lazy to work, too cowardly to steal without the color of authority. If it’s yes to both, you’re in.

“Transferred intent”?
Say whaaa?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/16/us/fanta-bility-police-shooting.html

Yeah, they better determine that shit correctly, then.

More the exception than the rule, I’m afraid.

Maybe both teenage boys were firing in self-defense.

I can’t read the article, it’s paywalled. Are the two teenagers black? If so, the self-defense argument can’t be used – it’s for white teenagers only.

Yes - update.

Ah, yes, there’s the difference.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/black-woman-shot-in-back-by-white-cop-drops-charges-after-mediation-session/ar-AAR0vSA?li=BBnb7Kz

Hall asked for the dismissal of charges against Crews after the process known as restorative justice mediation that took place on November 5.

“This was a unique opportunity where the defendant immediately realized she had made a terrible mistake in shooting the victim, and both the defendant and victim reached places where they could see a resolution for this incident outside of the criminal justice process,” Prosecuting Attorney Wesley Bell said in a news release.

Does this strike anyone else as wonky? To me, it sounds like an opportunity to intimidate the victim and get them to back off.

I see there was a cash settlement of some kind. It is possible that Miss Hall simply believed that it was a mistake and couldn’t in good conscience send Miss Crews to jail for it. It is also possible that Miss Hall was intimidated in the “restorative justice mediation” session. It does seem odd that the alleged victim of a crime would go to mediation with the accused before a trial had taken place.* Was it forced? By whom?

*Would a kidnapping victim be made to go to mediation with their kidnapper? Why would anyone sit down to “mediate” with the people who robbed their homes? Etc. It seems an odd program.

Is this process available for black women that shoot white cops in the back?

Do the police ever turn their back on a black person?

There could be built-in safeguards against that, although probably nothing would be proof against a whispered threat during a break or something. Whether the system is inherently flawed or not is one question, whether this particular instance was based on sincere feelings or intimidation is a separate question, one to which we will probably never know the answer.

I’m assuming a cash settlement was found sufficient.

My son’s school district uses restorative justice in an effort to resolve conflict without having to resort to ham handed punishment of every student involved. Part of their goal is to reduce the trend of minority male students being disproportionately punished during their time at school. I respect the methodology, at least my small experience with it is a focus on kindness and understanding among all the parties involved.

It doesn’t surprise me that it resulted in a dropping of charges, but I would be very curious if it is broadly used in Missouri, or if it’s pulled out of the bag of tricks when the ‘right’ person has an opportunity to get their charges dropped.

You know what is more persuasive than a cash settlement offer? A cash settlement offer from someone who has proven they can shoot you and get away with it.

Or a cash settlement when the other option is a trial when it is pretty persuasively proven that cops are rarely convicted.