Controversial encounters between law-enforcement and civilians - the omnibus thread #2

Yes. This was on Reddit and people were reporting they thought the house was abandoned. It didn’t even have power. Perfectly reasonable for the city to mow it, and taking pot shots at guys pushing a mower is not a reasonable response.

It still feels like something could have been done to de-escalate before the point where the house catches fire and the occupant dies.

Whoever he was, he wasn’t randomly violent - the neighborhood wasn’t living in fear of him walking outside and killing them. They didn’t even know anyone was there. Couldn’t they have taken a few steps before bringing in a SWAT team?

Once the person in the house started shooting at the people mowing the lawn there was limited room to de-escalate.

Yes, it was all so rushed,

However, around 10:21 a.m., authorities said the man began firing gunshots at them from inside of the home.

Officers backed off and were able to take cover and get all of the city staff to safety, according to Chief Chacon.

SWAT, mental health officers and a crisis negotiator were called to assist police on scene, as the man would still not leave his home.

Out of precaution, officials closed the neighborhood to traffic, asked residents to shelter in place, and placed Kiker Elementary School on lockdown, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

Officers and SWAT spent hours trying to get into contact with the man to coax him out of his home but were unsuccessful, according to Chief Chacon.

Around 3 p.m., the man reportedly began shooting at officers again at the back of the home, and police decided the next step was to deploy a robot to enter the residence from the front.

Any one want to bet what level of melanin the shooter had?
I know what my money is on.

From the news story Past Tense linked in post #2174

The resident of the home has not been identified. Austin Police spokesperson Jose Mendez said he was a white man in his 50s.

Just curious, how much money did you have on that @Crowmanyclouds?

All the Quatloos in the known universe.

And the @ashahi Memorial Egg-On-His-Face Award goes to…

Try to keep your acceptance speech under five minutes. We still have a lot of commercials to go through.

I do hope that no one is under the impression that I thought someone that opened fire on the police twice and had four hours to fuck around before the police got serious was anything other than melanin deficient.

I’m not familiar with your posting history, but I’m amazed that anyone would read your sequence of posts to mean you thought that the shooting was not justified, and if anything took way longer than it would have if the guy was black.

I got it. Sorry if my question gave the wrong impression.

Cops are incompetent.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/third-former-oc-deputy-pleads-guilty-in-evidence-booking-scandal/ar-AAQfh7w?li=BBnbfcL

The three were among 17 deputies under review, officials said. Sixteen of the deputies have been added to the district attorney’s Brady notification system, which requires prosecutors to inform defendants when an officer involved in their case has verified and sustained dishonesty or negligence in their background.

It’s always jarring to read just how extensive the coverups have been:

Voters in Minneapolis have chosen not to establish a Public Safety agency to replace the MPD

“May have learned a lesson”. You dumbshit.

Are they sure that was really Askari Lyons (A scary lions? really?) and not Susan Collins (R-ME)?

“R-ME”? Army?

Officers shot a Black man 59 times. Convicting a federal agent won’t be easy. (msn.com)

They shoot a guy almost 60 times and will hard to prove they overreacted;

What I do not know from the story is if any cops but the two mentioned also fired shots.

I mean, if these are the only cops that fired shots, and they hit him 59 times…didn’t they have to reload and start firing again??

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/cop-who-joined-beating-of-undercover-detective-during-protest-faces-10-years-in-prison/ar-AAQMBYY

Boone’s attorneys are seeking a sentence of 26 months in prison instead. They say he did not participate in Hall’s beating but only held him down after the initial attack because other officers were “acting as though” they were making an arrest, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch

" I did not beat him. I only held him down so that others could beat him and then pretend to arrest him.’

Assistant DA says suicide by cop.

It’s a crime for a member of the public to lie to the police. Why is it not a crime for police to lie to the public?

Look at pkbites (an LEO in real life apparently) describing how lying to courts is SOP for them.