Controversial encounters between law-enforcement and civilians - the omnibus thread #2

Don’t want to derail the thread, but that was Karl Malden as Omar Bradley touring the battlesite, IIRC.

Press on.

:upside_down_face:

No wonder when I did a Youtube search for Patton touring Kasserine it came up dry.

Not sure if we covered this five years ago:

It’s perfectly OK for cops to lie to suspects, so forging state documents is OK too, right?

The bogus pieces of paper included a seal and letterhead from the state agency, the AG’s office said. In two instances, the documents included the signature of a fictitious employee from the department, and in at least one instance, a forged report was presented to a court as evidence, the AG’s office said.

Herring’s office did not say whether the use of the forged documents would invalidate any confessions that were obtained as a result, or otherwise affect the cases in which they were employed.

Oops, a DA who wasn’t in on it submitted these forged documents as evidence? That’s OK, though. An innocent man would never confess to a crime he didn’t commit, and it’s perfectly legal.

The city’s police department has changed its policy in the wake of the state’s probe, Attorney General Mark Herring said in a statement. In a separate statement, the city said it had ended the practice in May after conducting its own investigation, but called the tactic legal.

Aye: cops can lie:

Chicago:

They were over the line. Mark it zero, Dude.

Houston County, Georgia:

The story is a circus of names and allegations and what seems like incompetence:

“If these allegations are found to be true, I agree that he should be removed from office,” said Houston County’s NAACP chapter president, Jonathan Johnson.

As of Monday morning, Chief Deputy Billy Rape says the sheriff’s office had taken action.

“He is suspended pending termination. He had 10 working days from today through the 20th at 5 p.m. to file for an appeal hearing,” Rape explained.

According to Chief Deputy Rape, Urhahn was allegedly recorded on a doorbell camera using a derogatory term against a young Black woman in 2020. He said they couldn’t substantiate that and took no action.

Fayetteville, North Carolina:

LAPD closed their Wilshire station and a sign was put up saying the station was closed because the LAPD were defunded. The city budget for the police actually increased during the last year. The real reason the station was closed was because 800 cops had covid.
The police chief tried to claim that it was put up to embarrass the police.

I think we missed the initial news stories about this; time to catch up:

From what I know about the case (which isn’t much), the police should be charged with some flavor of manslaughter. If the state (Pennsylvania, I think) has a felony murder rule, then Ford and Strand might be charged in the child’s death, as well.

But yeah, the cops need to be held responsible for what looks to me like depraved indifference.

A black man was arrested and spent six days in jail on a warrant for a white man with blue eyes because they shared the same name.

This one is cop on cop. A police sergeant in Sunrise, Florida was looming over a suspect already in custody with a pepper spray, a female officer grabbed the sergeant and pulled him away, and the sergeant grabbed her by the throat and shoved her against a car.

More info on this case:

5 officers resigned, 1 fired and 2 suspended for sending racist messages. How long before the 5 that resigned are employed at the department in the next town? My guess is less than a week.

Okay… this is pretty fuktup.

Two teenagers have words after a high school football game in Sharon Hill, PA. It allegedly escalates, someone pulls a gun and shots are fired. Three cops hear the shots, run over to where they think the altercation is and start firing blindly. More than two dozen shots are fired by the officers into a crowd of people and vehicular traffic, hitting at least 5 people and killing an 8 year old girl.

So they arrest the two teenagers and charge them with murder.

Now, the murder charges are dropped and the three officers are charged with manslaughter for the girl’s death. AFAIK they have not been charged with anything for all the other wounding and/or negligence.

Their preliminary hearing is 27 January 2022.

Second best news I’ve heard all day.

Here’s some news:

In case y’all don’t remember:

Somebody go ahead and try and tell us that it was the protesters who got out of hand. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Cops suffering from ‘excited delirium’ I’m sure.