Controversial encounters between law-enforcement and civilians - the omnibus thread #2

Oh hey, Federal cops tear gassed the mayor of Portland for speaking. But it’s just a ‘few bad apples’, right? And they’d only use chemical weapons on civilians if they’re really needed, right?

And Individual 1 called the mayor “pathetic”.

After the Douglas County, Nevada public library announced that they support Black Lives Matter, the County Sheriff told them not to bother calling the police if they have a legal problem.

[SWAT Mafia](MSN BB17lBgi#:~:text=SWAT%20Mafia%20members%20instruct%20other%20SWAT%20officers%20that,to%20deescalate%20conflicts%20are%20ostracized%20and%20called%20%22cowards.%22)

Officers who choose not to use lethal force in encounters with suspects and instead try to deescalate conflicts are ostracized and called “cowards.” They are unlikely to be promoted within the unit.

A case in point: Stephen Mader (a white man) had served in the Marines in Afghanistan before becoming a police officer in Weirton, West Virginia. He was fired, not for shooting someone, but for NOT shooting someone–a distraught black man holding an (unloaded) gun and repeatedly pleading “Just shoot me”. Unfortunately, the man was killed by Mader’s fellow officers within seconds of their arrival at the scene. (And to be clear, everyone who has any familiarity at all with gun safety knows that there’s no such as an “unloaded gun” unless you have personally unloaded it.)

According to that article:

But Mader argues that, no, he didn’t “freeze up”. According to him:

The article notes Mader was prepared to shoot if he felt he absolutely had to, but he was going to do his best NOT to shoot a man who seemed more distraught than threatening. The article also notes that neither Mader nor anyone else in his department had received any training in how to handle a situation like that.

So, Mader was fired for trying to go beyond the call of duty and actually protect and serve the public, even though it was at some risk to himself. But they couldn’t give him a commendation or a medal, because he made the other cops look bad, so they called him a “coward” and fired him.

And that story tells us exactly why police departments need to be “downfunded” and the money invested instead in various flavors social work.

# Police officers should not be charged with Breonna Taylor’s death, criminal law experts say

Louisville Metro Police policy also says officers may use deadly force when the officer reasonably believes “based on the facts and circumstances that the person against whom the force is used poses an immediate threat of death or serious injury.”

Yes, if I break into your apartment in the middle of the night, and you raise your hand to me, I can kill you because I am defending myself.

PREDICTION: None of the officers will charged, The one that got fired will either be rehired by this department, or hired by another.

Awful, but not surprising. But individual cops making dumb decisions is just a part of the problem. Perhaps a more important part is why was that raid ordered? Couldn’t they have found a less dangerous way to bring in a suspect?

I live in Louisville. I have a fear that the officers in the Taylor case will not be charged, and it’s going to set this powder keg city off. I’m imagining the Rodney King situation all over again, though perhaps on a smaller scale due to population differences.

Not only did these brave brave officers cuff little girls, but they cant tell the difference between a car and a motorcycle. Or a Colorado plate from a Montana one

Police then determined they had stopped the wrong car. It had Colorado license plates but a motorcycle with the same license plate number from Montana was the vehicle that had been reported as stolen on Sunday.

I’m shocked to find that the occupants of the non-stolen non-motorcycle with non-Montana plates were black!

They cuffed the 17-year-old and 12-year-old girl. At least they left the 6-year-old uncuffed, but also didn’t allow anyone to comfort her.

I saw a meme which really did a good job summarizing it. Breonna Taylor’s death was not because the system is broken, but was because the system was working as intended. That is the problem. So of course a criminal law expert is saying the cops shouldn’t be charged, the system is setup so that despite the tragic outcome, they did nothing wrong in the eyes of the system.

(from that article)

" Detective Joshua Jaynes said in an application for the search warrant that a U.S. postal inspector verified that an alleged drug dealer was receiving packages at Taylor’s home, but the inspector later told WDRB that no suspicious packages were being sent to Taylor.

The FBI is investigating the circumstances surrounding the March 13 warrant, and Jaynes has been placed on administrative reassignment."

So if the detective lied to get the warrant, is that a felony?

And if so, can the detective be charged with felony murder?

And yet another case of law enforcement (this time it’s the secret service, no less) mistaking a legally owned car for one listed as stolen, and two women were cuffed and separated from their babies.

Initially, the women said, an officer told them the vehicle had been reported stolen and that the suspects were two Black men. But the women, both African American, said no men were with them and provided proof that Johnson was the owner. She told the Secret Service she had never reported the car stolen. Eventually, the women were released — without an apology or answers to their questions, Winston said.

I’m sure that the department will move swiftly to ensure that this cannot happen again.

Next time they’ll have handcuffs suitable for a 6 year old.

I’m utterly shocked that the two women cuffed for no reason were black women!

Good on one of the moms for staying clear enough to get the names and badge numbers of the cops, though. I’m sure nothing will come of that, though.

We cuff you for your safety so you don’t accidentonpurpously get shot.

Good point. If black people make any moves (towards their belt, towards the sky, away from their belt, etc.), it makes police scared that they will pull out an Uzi and start mowing everyone down, so the cops can start shooting out of fear for their safety.

Black people are essentially super-beings in the eyes of the cops.

A witness of the incident in Washington also said that the Secret Service searched the woman’s car without her approval.