Controversial encounters between law-enforcement and civilians - the omnibus thread #2

So… “hard hand control” is the new phrase for punching a restrained person in the face.

She does not appear to well under physical control. I agree that he should not have punched her…but DAMN…she had it coming.

In a lot of these cases, I can fully acknowledge that a lot of the supposed victims of police brutality could have perhaps emerged unscathed had they made different decisions – that doesn’t matter. Nurses get punched and spat on, too, and if they hit back they get fired, lose their license, and possibly charged with felony assault, depending on how bad it is. Everyone has to be accountable for their behavior.

This all comes back to the training. Police departments need to start getting the shit sued out of them - to the point where communities insist on doing away with the militarization of the police. But in addition to lawsuits, criminal cops need to start facing the same consequences anyone else would face. We don’t have to tolerate this; we’ve been accepting this kind of thuggery for far too long, which is why the Chauvin verdict was so important. Bad cops don’t need to get fired - they need to be bankrupted and imprisoned for negligent and homicidal behavior.

It makes sense to people who consider trying to breath ‘resisting arrest’.

Alameda, CA:

Now the prosecutor in North Carolina says he saw the video and Mr. Brown had hit deputies with is car before they opened fire:

Gonna go ahead and call bullshit.

The decision came shortly after a North Carolina prosecutor said that Andrew Brown Jr. had hit law enforcement officers with his car before they opened fire.

If you are hit with a car, you will need medical treatment. Otherwise, you are lying.

“Hit” is a blobby term. The barest of tangentially contact is a “hit”. Since Brown was shot in the back of the head, we have to assume that he was backing up at the moment that he “hit” someone (which could well have been an officer reaching out to slap his car for some reason). We would have to see the video to assess this claim.

A judge is refusing to allow the Brown body cam footage to be released. One would think, if Brown hit the cops with his car, they would be falling over themselves to let the public see it.

To be fair, the judge cites that the video could compromise the investigation into the events and put people in danger. I don’t see either of those as convoluted or improbable enough to raise my eyebrow more than the tiniest bit, so I’ll give the judge the benefit of the doubt that his stated motives are accurate.

Also, it isn’t a permanent or even long-standing refusal to release:

So by the end of May or the middle of June, this matter should be back before him.

IMO this seems to be a prudent decision.

Cops suck, and are liars as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/two-new-jersey-police-officers-charged-with-assaulting-19-year-old-and-filing-false-police-report/ar-BB1g9jfF?li=BBnbfcL

Chicago:

The preview hasn’t been updated; they’ve apparently changed the language of the intro paragraph from “appeared to be holding a gun”:

Cops can’t even trust other cops.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/the-investigators-female-officer-asked-to-train-replacement-after-being-demoted-having-pay-cut/ar-BB1g7jMV?ocid=ientp

Cops are lying-ass sacks of shit.

…especially if said cops are black females in a sea of white maleness.

They told her she was demoted and taking a paycut, THEN asked to train her replacement???

THAT would have been a justified shooting.

…as bad as the story was I couldn’t get over this part at the end:

Is there no such thing as a copy-editor now? They are now crowd-sourcing typo corrections?

No, no copy-editors. And many times the only corrections you’ll see is from FB contributors.

I’d rather pay for local news like I did (and do) local newspapers. But I don’t want ads, as well. I could shrug off static left/right column ads but then it became videos. Even when paying for a subscription.

Plus the best news, other than actual local news, was from Reuters or the Associated Press. Just the news.

I really hope that nobody pulled a muscle while reaching for that ‘felony embezzlement’ charge. What a load of shit.

Actually, I hope they did pull a muscle, or two. They didn’t even charge her with the real crime: renting a “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” video.

Per the video, the officer states: “Fearing that I was about to be attacked…”

Nah, inherent reaction to being attacked is moving away from the perceived attack/attacker. He moved toward her knowing she was under restraint (controlled by 3 other officers). This was an ego reaction.

Probably the first seven minutes tells the story. This one was posted by the attorney representing the 73 year old woman with dementia who was taken down hard by two young and inexperienced cops who later couldn’t stop expressing their utter joy at having hurt her.

It’s the same town, same PD.

Pattern of behavior ? Was there no better way to deal with this guy, too (/either) ?