Converting records to wav

I have a rather extensive record collection and I want to convert my records to wav/mp3 in order to copy them to cd.
What is the simplest way to do this? I’m not even sure how to connect my record player to the PC.

Is there any software available to clean up the white noise and scratches from the records?

Visit Sonic Foundry and read up on two tools - Sound Forge and Noise Reduction.

You may also need to purchase a small amplifier for your turntable. When I did some of my LP’s I just connected the turntable to the audio input on the computers sound card.

Once you get the software:

Turntable => turntable in (amp or receiver)

Rec Out (amp or receiver) => Line In on computer’s sound card NOT the Mic In!

Start the recording software, then cue the tone arm.

p.s. find software (I use the old Adaptec Spin Doctor Deluxe) which will detect the silence between tracks and split the (WAV) into separate tracks - otherwise, the CD will interpret the entire side as a single track - v. annoying.

p.p.s. Watch the record level - I found that I needed to boost the amplitude to 150-200% to get the CD’s to play at the same level as store-bought CD’s.

MODS - last I heard, it was still legal to cut one’s own vinyl to CD (come next Congress, I wouldn’t be surprised if that changed)

I’ve been converting my records to CDs for almost a year now. I use Groove Mechanic to remove clicks and hiss, and recomend it. It’s only US$39. You should try out whatever software you want to use for this, and make sure it works well. I tried several other programs, and eventually narrowed it down to Groove Mechanic or WaveCorrector (IIRC). What sold me on Groove Mechanic was two things.

The first is kind of hard to explain: I had a tape which had a section at the beginning where there was spoken words right at the beginning, with a much higher level of hiss which was supposed to be there (it went away as soon as the music started). With Groove Mechanic, it still sounded like hiss after hiss removal (and the hiss before that section went away). With the other software, the hiss became more of a hum, so it changed the character of the recording.

For the second, the same recording had a cymbal crash. With Groove Mechanic, after hiss removal, it still sounded right. With the other, it sounded distorted, in a sort of electronic way. It was very noticeable with higher levels of hiss removal. At lower levels of removal, it was still there, although less noticeable, but the tape hiss wasn’t all removed.

There may be other noise reduction software out there which doesn’t distort the sound, but whatever software you look at, test it out. Try removing hiss from music with cymbals, and find a recording with something like hiss that’s supposed to be there, and make sure it doesn’t distort the sound.