Convince me I should believe in your god

Believe in this. Praise/kill “Bob”!

Looking around, it is a thing neither rare nor good. Faith is not a virtue, sir. Faith is a vice, and damned wicked one, too.

How many do you need?
edited to add: Now, what evidence do you have for your god that doesn’t point to any of these other gods?

How many gods?

Some say…

Almost all of the Nazis **were **Christians,

OTOH It has to be mentioned that a good chuck **did **oppose the Nazis, but as an Agnostic nowadays I do have to say that this attempt at removing a shameful chapter of the history of religion only leads to many religious leaders of today to just become false witnesses and convince people like you that we should ignore what took place in the recent past.

Not gonna work, I found that in an even more recent past in places like in El Salvador, that the classic point is still a valid one: “Those who ignore history are condemn to repeat it”. And I saw how Christians that were told to be ignorant of the past ended up giving support to even more modern military thugs with blood in their hands.

What I say in the end here is that as an agnostic with deistic tendencies I do think that organized religion will endure, but it should be the task of people like agnostics and Deists (Join the Unitarians! We do not damn you to hell just for looking at us funny! :smiley: ) to make sure that organized religion remains benevolent and I do think that one big part of it is to make sure that they never forget how easy is for demagogues to lead religious people into doom.

Oh wow, yeah, you really were a real tuff guy back then, surprised you never got banned. With posts like that, hard to believe you didn’t at least get a warning or two. Damn the moderators! Seriously, is this it?

The “rare gift” faith is kind of different from your garden variety belief in whatever. It is a sort of epiphany thing, where the divine truth is revealed in a cascade of overwhelming awesomeness that pours into your heart. Basically the same thing as a really good acid trip.

My god(dess) is Neko Case, and the proof is in her voice.

If that doesn’t convince you, seek professional help.

Stranger

Do we need to get into this again? The nazis did what they did because they were assholes, end of story. What they believed or did not believe is kind of irrelevant (apart from that master race business). Joe Stalin killed a lot of people, but if he had been religious, who is to say, he probably would have done the same thing, he had some kind of serious emotional/mental issue going on. That much is obvious, since the killings ended when the next gen took over.

The evidence of history indicates that I will be good I will be a skank, or somewhere in between, but what altar I pray on or eschew will have but a trivial effect on how bad<->good I am. The argument for believing in a given god cannot hinge on the fact that it will make me a better person, the overall evidence shows there can be no guarantees.

Since the title is “Convince me I should believe in your god”(emphasis mine), it would help if people would identify their particular deity by sect before trying to convince the OP. You wouldn’t want the OP to believe in the wrong god, would you?

There is no god but God.

And which one would that be? Which church? Which sect?

And good thing I do not deny that, the point stands, attempting to forget who were the willful supporters of the Nazis remains a problem, particularly when I still see the same groups calling for military coups when people in other nations attempt do to things differently.

Indeed, but the other point I made remains, we have to make efforts to make religion benevolent and to make sure it never forgets how it can be made into a tool of the demagogues. That there are **other **demagogues that do the same with non believers is a given, but one should never forget that many defenders of organized religion continue to say that such a hijack is not easy or that it could never happen. I can tell you from experience that we should tell them constantly that that is not the case.

So, you’re a Muslim, then?

Faith closes the mind, it doesn’t open it. And it’s hardly rare, it’s the norm.

Which sort of does not apply to the OP. I did not as to be convinced to be a Lutheran or Salafist or Hindu, just to be convinced to believe in a particular god. One can actually believe in a god and still be strongly opposed to the religions attached to its name, though that does seem to be pretty rare.

But the sect defines the god, does it not?

The sect defines the doctrine, the parameters required for worshipping the god. Lutherans and Salafists worship exactly the same god, its definition is not specific to their sect, only the how-to-worship is. Wakantanka, for instance, might even arguably be the same god: if the universe only has room for one superbeing, one could not reasonably say that the Lakota god is somehow different from the Muslim god as long as the general god concept is the same.

So I guess I kind of erred with “your god”. I am somewhat disinclined toward most pantheons, but then again, leave out the soap opera part and a pantheon makes about as much sense as monotheism, they are both positive models of the unknowable.

But I still would like to see a viable reason to believe. Believers have difficulty understanding how it is possible that I can not believe, I am turning the tables here with why should I.

What **Czarcasm **said. Personally I do think that many would not like my definition of god, so I do not agree either on forcing others to follow it. It has to be noticed that the God of many founding fathers, that were Deist, was not really the god of the bible.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/jefferson.htm

No, they don’t, unless Salafists are also Tinitarian.