Cooking Fish, Specifically Salmon

Ok, the day approaches and I want to thank everyone for the tips and recipes.

One more thing to ask though is, what would be a good wine to go with?
My GF and I have had really good luck with Barefoot. We especially liked their reisling and she picked up a bottle of some kind of red that was blend(I’ll have to check and see if she remembers what specifically) from them. We tend to prefer white wines(but we both really liked that blended “red”). However we do like red wine now and then with food.

You’re in for a tasty treat, based on my grilling experience. We’ve been eating a LOT of salmon on the grill… super simple recipe: oil, lemon juice, garlic salt. Slap it on a hot grill for 5 minutes a side for medium rare. In my experience, cast iron would be similar.

The one difference? No fishy smell indoors. Wife hates it, I even have to open the package outdoors (we like the farm-raised at Trader Joe’s, $10/lb).

Pinot Noir is the classic match. How much you want to spend? I’d say also try some village-named Beaujolais as well. Wines named Fleurie, Morgon, Moulin-a-Vent, instead of saying Beaujolais.

Drink what you like though.

EDIT: and reading the wines you’ve liked before, definitely something more fruity than austere and perfumey. Village Beaujolais should work great. Alternately, something on the fruity side of US/Chilean Pinot Noir. If you like whites, drink those instead.

Actually, pinot noir sounds about right and like a red we might enjoy on its own merits.
When we drink reds, it’s almost always with food and pinot noir sounds like it has reason for being a classic match for fish.

As for your suggestions about other labels and wineries, I’ll check to see if any of the ones you specifically mentioned are available to me.(picking a good wine without a recommendation is a crap shoot for me)

So has anyone ever tried grilling salmon on a cedar plank? I saw some cedar planks in the grill aisle at Lowe’s today and bought them as an impulse buy. I’ve seen recipes for cedar planked salmon before, so I thought I’d give that a try. Any tips or recipes you’d recommend?

There are any number of ways to cook salmon, but overcooking it is the biggest mistake. First off, pick either Sockeye or King. King has the highest fat content, but I prefer Sockeye over any of them for flavor. For me, I just get a stainless clad pan good and hot with some olive oil or other fat. Pull the pin bones out of the salmon filet, salt it, and put it in the pan skin side up. When the other side has browned nicely, turn the filet and let it finish cooking. This should only take about 6-8 minutes, total. The salmon should still be pink/translucent, and should flake easily. Take it out of the pan, and peel the skin off of it, if desired. Serve with a lemon- or orange-based sauce, if you wish.

Easiest thing to do is find a decent local liquor store or wine shop—use Yelp or whatever—find a clerk that looks helpful, give them the use case, and how much you want to spend. They’ll ask, if they’re any good at all, what type of wines you’ve liked in the past, what sorts of flavors you go for, and give you a brief list of suggestions. If they can’t, find a clerk who can; expecting that level of service isn’t outrageous.

(The names I gave you were of villages in Beaujolais, not producers, but the village name will likely be in the biggest font on the bottle.)

Let us know how it goes!

This is idaho, I have very low expectations for the sommolier skills of the person I’d be likely to find working in a liquor store. I will check the state liquor store website however to see if those wines are sold here though.

OTOH, salmon has changed to cod…wine suggestions remain the same? Need answer fast!

Go with any white you’ve liked in the past. If you feel like branching out, Chateau Ste Michelle makes excellent, inexpensive Sauvignon Blanc, marked Horse Heaven Vineyard or something similar. Widely distributed. About 13-15 in my area. Should go great with sauteed cod or cod in pouch.

Let us know how it goes. Cod, IME, will stick to the pan more than salmon. I just use more fat to compensate/help it release. Or cook it in a parchment pouch with some wine and aromatic veggies.

So, the Chateau Ste Michelle Sauvignon Blanc available here is their columbia valley mark. So that’s what we went with. The cod recipe was one from Better Homes and Gardens. The pairing was good but without tweaking the recipe a bit(it was on the bland side, predictable in retrospect) that wine was at the upper limit and almost too overpowering for the dish. It was a good wine though, one I would consider for a stand alone drink or for noshing on a good cheese with. We are going to try the dish again another time and adjust the flavors a bit.
It was cod topped with a sauce of soy sauce, balsmic vinegar honey and fresh ground ginger then cooked in the oven to some Degrees F I don’t remember right now and served on a bed of bok choy cooked in a pan with freshly minced garlic and green onions in vegetable oil just enough to wilt the leaves a bit and soften the stalks.
Next time we will up the balsamic a bit and perhaps the ginger and garlic also and use a different oil, perhaps olive, to cook the boc choy.

All in all, it was really easy to make and the cooking part was really quick. Probably spent more time prepping the food than actually cooking it.
Again, not bad, but needs some tweaking to suit our tastes

Yes, I’ve planked salmon before. It’s a fun way to cook it. The cedar really does transfer to the fish and gives it a nice, unique flavor.

As for recipe, I’d probably recommend keeping it simple so the cedar flavoring stands out- salt, pepper, a squeeze of citrus. As for tips, make sure you soak the planks very thoroughly or you may end up with blackened salmon, and not the tasty Cajun blackened style :smile:

What does the flavor of planked salmon taste like? I’ve heard of this but can’t imagine wood as a tasty flavoring except in a smoker

Dry Riesling with that spicing. Maybe Gewurztraminer. I’d be concerned about a sweeter wine fighting with the balsamic. Sounds like tasty experimentation is called for.

You’ll likely have to go foreign for a good dry Riesling. (EDIT: Pacific Rim’s ‘Dry Riesling’ is domestic, decent, widely distributed, and under 10 bucks) Hugel makes a good cheap one; Trimbach makes an excellent one for about 20 bucks. Pinot Blanc or sparkling wine are good matches too for the soy/ginger/balsalmic kinds of dishes.

Sorry the wine kind of overpowered the dish, but I’m happy you all sounded like you had a great time.

It’s somewhat mild but it tastes like…cedar. Do you like the smell of cedar? Imagine it as a flavor note. It’s not overpowering. It’s complementary to the flavor of the salmon.

Ah, then planking wouldn’t be for me. I like the smell of cedar, but the association with closets, hope chests and clothes is much too strong for me to consider it for food flavoring.

Ah reisling, we really like Barefoot’s reisling, really really like it. I’m thinking about building a small rack for my favorite pots and pans this winter with a few slots for favorite wines on it and that one will proabably have a home.

I think we’re planning on sticking with the same wine next time and adjusting the recipe. We actually liked the wine, the dish was weak and bland. Knowing my GF, she’ll probably add a bit of anaheim pepper to it to start with

Try the Finger Lakes (New York State.)

The ones I’ve had are all right. (Herman J Wiemer, Dr. Frank.) To my taste, not as good or as inexpensive as Trimbach’s regular Riesling, but YMMV. I’d still love to go visit and taste my way around.

Doug Margerum around Buellton has made a really good dry Riesling in the past, but I guess it’s only for his wine club anymore.