Cooking with roux in a crock pot

I live with a cajun and will often add some Tony’s instant roux (powdered) to the liquid from a pot roast or whatever to make a quick gravy for rice.
Put it in towards the ends, it will thicken and does give a “rouxish” flavor.
No, it’s not roux, but it works in a pinch and as a flavoring.
BTW: it is a Louisiana product. Opelousas, LA to be exact.

For a MUCH better “instant” roux, Savoy’s makes a decent dark roux in a jar. Great for gumbo and such when I don’t want to spend all day stirring flour.

ETA: I can’t get Savoy’s here, my SO’s sister always includes a couple jars whenever she ships us anything. You can order it at CajunGrocer.com.

As long as you’re not adding the roux directly to the soup, but rather diluting first, Bob’s your uncle.

I just want to report back to say that the stew turned out very good. Much better than previous times I’ve made it.

At the start of the cooking, I added two cups of red wine, ketchup, salt and pepper mixed with a few tablespoons of the roux. Then when the stew was done and after it had cooled slightly, I added a full cup of roux.

The texture of the stew was exactly what I was aiming for. Next time I may try making my own roux though.

I made a pseudo-étouffée over the weekend, and used a microwave roux for the first time. I have to say, that was really easy! It was as easy as sticking 1/3 cup of flour and 1/3 cup of oil in a Pyrex cup for 3 minutes. It should pretty simple to add a dose of that to the crockpot at the start of cooking.

If this helps at all, the way I start a beef stew is to brown the chunks of beef first. I know it kinda defeats the thinking behind one-pot crock cooking, but it’s totally worth it. Dredge your beef chunks in flour (seasoned with salt and pepper), then brown them with some butter in a cast iron skillet. Just brown them nicely on med-high heat, don’t cook through. That will make a roux that you don’t have to think about, and will thicken your stew nicely. Dump all contents and scrapings into the crock. Browning the beef will add a depth of flavor that you can’t get any other way.

Also, people may call it an abomination, but if stews don’t happen to thicken as much as I’d like for some reason (rare) I have been known to sprinkle in some potato flakes at the end. Can’t taste 'em, the dish is usually served with potatoes in it or along side it anyway, and they thicken things up nicely without using a slurry.