Cool Guitar Solos/Playing

Sorry no link, but Johnson playing Cliffs of Dover is one of my favorite instrumentals.

So sad. :frowning:

Frank Zappa’s Watermelon in Easter Hay - Watermelon in Easter hay - YouTube

George Lynch…

My standard in these sort of threads: Lindsey Buckingham playing, “I’m so Afraid”. Seven minutes of awesome.

I’ve only recently begun to dig into Rory Gallagher, but I’m rather fond of this one: “As the Crow Flies”

Thanks for sharing this band. They are amazing.

The “Great Guitars,” “Trouble in Mind” I love listening to jazz players play the blues; they have such a unique approach to it (virtually no bends, unconventional scales and techniques). And Charlie Byrd is terrifyingly awesome.

How about a little Buckethead - Nottingham Lace

Bonus song, with an AWESOME Hieronymus Bosch triptych-come-to-life HD video

For the finger pickers…

Playing a 12-string is hard enough. Playing like this on a 12-string is ridiculous.

Leo Kottke - Last Steam Engine Train
Leo Kottke - Airproofing

Yeah, I play. Just not particularly well, and usually sporadically. I’ve got some friends that are accomplished players, and I hate them.

I grew up listing to EVH, then all of Mike Varney’s guys from Yngwie onward. I post a lot about Vai because I really like the experimental nature of his approach with all the different gear he (ab)uses as well as his strange arrangements in some of his stuff (which I attribute mainly to his exposure to Zappa). I also really enjoy all the electronics he uses…he’s a technician of the electric guitar, to me, an extension of what Hendrix would have been doing had he lived (but Vai can’t play no blues like Jimi).

My favorite guitarist is actually Stevie Ray Vaughn or maybe Ry Cooder. Some of that blues playing just really sticks it to you in a way 64th notes never can. But technicians are fun to listen to just the same. More of a jaw-dropping thing than a “I feel your pain” thing I guess.

John McLaughlin just SHREDS in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZgkQLKqnWI

John McLaughlin just SHREDS in this Mahavishnu Orchestra track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZgkQLKqnWI

Most of my favourites are not particularly showy–for example Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson’s twin leads on “Romeo And The Lonely Girl” are more melodic than crazy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Q3EtZGYUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvglqc3QYq8 Elvin Bishop’s sublime “Fooled Around And Fell In Love”.

You can’t beat the late Michael Hedges.

And William Ackerman is a good listen, too.

Peter Green and Danny Kirwan of Fleetwood Mac doing an amazing call & response - live at the Boston Tea Party on “Like It This Way”.

Sorry, I don’t have a link for you OP, but take a listen to much of Steve Hackett’s post-Genesis solo stuff.

Just amazing.

Studio Version of the above tune.

Talking of call and response, my favourite by a long way is Stephen Stills and Neil Young on the live version of Southern Man from 4 Way Street - all glorious fourteen minutes of it.

It’s like a very exciting dialogue: they are talking to each with their guitars. You have to listen to without interruption because you will lose the plot if you don’t.

It’s not incredibly flashy, but I always liked Glenn Tipton’s extended solo in Judas Priest’s Beyond the Realms of Death:

And also Dreamer Deciever:

Well, I love the blues, but it seems more than covered. So, I have to mention the coolest noise, and maybe a little surf.

Steve Albini w/Big Black Cables

Sonic Youth Death to our Friends

The Deadly Ones Monster Surfing Time

The Cramps The Most Exalted Potentate of Love and as a bonus! Garbageman (One of those two guitar parts doesn’t belong. I’ve never been able to tell which one. It’s primitive, but not simple. Plus, two damn cool solos.)

And since no one has linked yet: Baby’s on Fire. A fantastic choice. One of the few songs that I’ll listen to whether I’m in the mood or not, just because the solo is so damned awesome.

And, not for treble guitar, but for the bass, Third Uncle, from Mr. Eno.

Nothing much flashy here, just some beautiful playing. Manuel Barrueco playing the 2nd movement of the Rodrigo ‘Concierto de Aranjuez’.

Of course, the entire concert is pretty amazing, too.