Cool Ship or Boat Names.

I wonder if he saw the B. Kliban cartoon?

Pillar of Autumn from Halo is good also.
I like the ship names in Andromeda:
Andromeda Ascendant
Pax Magellanic
Glorious Heritage
Crimson Sunrise
Balance of Judegment

Brian

Oh, another wonderfully ironic name: Daigo Fukuryu Maru, aka Lucky Dragon #5.
If the story is not familiar, the ship and crew were badly contaminated after the bomb used in the 1954 Castle Bravo test at Bikini Atoll proved to be much more powerful than expected.

My roommate’s friend has a small little boat, and we went on the lake the other day for some wakeboarding. The thing is a piece of shit. Holes in the fiberglass, the motor had dryer vent hose for air intake, jury-rigged everything. The name?

Sofa King.
I think you can guess why.

The Dauntless was used by E.E “Doc” Smith in the * Lensman* series. When Randall Garret wrote a story that parodied the series, he had a ship named the * Dentlesss*. I love that name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backstage_Lensman

This thread was fun, while it lasted, and might interest you too: Name that fictional ship! - Cafe Society - Straight Dope Message Board

My father bought a boat that was named “Gentle Ben.” He laughed and bought a sticker with the word “dover” on it somewhere, putting it below the name. We laughed a bunch. Then he named it Nemisis II when he decided to put it out at the lake.

He bought a new boat last year and named it “Nobar Toofar”
He didn’t lie. He took it to Lake Ontario for a fishing/drinking trip today.

Brendon Small

A motor yacht seen moored in Norfolk, Virginia…

Indiscretion,
on it were two small runabouts,
A Little Indiscretion and Another Little Indiscretion.

First Pratchett fan here, I guess.

The Prid of Ankh-Moorpark

These things happen when the guy painting the name on the boat gets distracted.

Similarly, if one’s seen the Cary Grant movie Father Goose, there’s a scene where he paints the name on his launch as Ynnej.

When I was a much younger fella, I had a tiny sailboat. I named her Seagoon.
After the main character in almost every episode of The Goon Show.

You know, Mr. Eddie Neecroon (bonus points if you know which episode that is).

Roddy

I always wanted a yacht called isoodn1. I had suggestions it was too cryptic so we settled on Best Revenge.

When a sailboat doesn’t flex or wallow around, it’s said to be “stiff.” When the McLaughlin Boat Works took over as builder of the old Day Sailer-I design, the foam core hull was delightfully stiff. So stiff, in fact, that one of the first owners named his boat Katkantscratchit. :stuck_out_tongue:

The blog BoingBoing won the right to name on the VirginAtlantic Airlines planes and they chose to call it “Unicorn Chaser.” The name arises from a tradition on the blog of following (chasing) any horrific story or picture or video with a picture of a pretty pristine unicorn.

And I’ve always fancied the name “Storm Crow” for any such applicable vehicle.

– IG

From Trek: USS Brattain named after Walter Brattain CO-discoverer of the transistor. Unknown to 99% of the public but responsible for developing one of the most important devices in history.

Coolest spaceship name ever from the movie of the same: Event Horizon.

Again, I am on the wrong side of fighting ignorance. I thought it was Shockely, Bardeen and Brittain. :rolleyes:

From Guy Clark’s The Ballad Of Laverne And Captain Flint.
Old Flint’s boat is fine and she’s called the Miss-Inclined
and there’s no home port painted on her stern
and they say she’s like a ghost up and down that Texas coast
but you saw him didn’t you Laverne?*

Last Saturday at my 20th high school renunion we found out a classmate has done very well for himself. After the dinner, the party moved onto his 100 foot 2 million dollar yacht the “YOLO

You Only Live Once.

Coolness, noboy has mentioned my Favorite…being an old heinlen fan, it just has to be Rodger Young in reference to the ship from Starship Troopers.

Either that or named for my ship in an old RPG Pax Romana I will need guns for that one.

I leap into crudity with a boat I saw at the recent White Marlin Open: The Muff Diver. Oy. Not much class, but a certain something…