Cool things you can do with a PDA

Just bumping this to say thanks! This would have made learning Chinese so much easier back in the day. :smack: It’s really helpful for me to brush up on characters and tones. I’ve used the Oxford dictionary since it came out, and now I don’t have to lug that around with me any more since I’ve always got the phone/pda combo.

I have almost the same PDA (X50v) and I use it for almost everything. (No GPS yet). Awesome little PDA. I only got it recently (moved over from a Palm Tungsten|T5 last week) so I’m still sort of exploring its capabilities but so far it has proven far more capable than my T5. (The PIMs still kinda suck so I’ll have to get an aftermarket PIM suite)

I’ve gone through 7 PDAs since September 2002 (when I got my first, a Palm Vx) so I’ve clocked a pretty good amount of time on them, and can safely say this Dell is by far the most interesting device I’ve owned. Battery life sucks though – I’ve got a 2200mAh battery on the way, which will make it a little bulkier with that new back, but meh… I can live with it.

Some things I’ve learned so far with regards to some useful things to add to improve its usefulness:

• Calligrapher 8.2. Improves the handwriting recognition tenfold and allows you to write anywhere.
  • CrE-ME 4.10. Java virtual machine with a PIE plugin so you can see Java applets while browsing. Plus, it is compliant with Java midlets, meaning you can play your favourite cell phone or Java-based web games on your Axim.
  • Quake. Seriously. How can you not have an Axim without Quake? (Quake III is also available as a work-in-progress but it’s not very good yet)
  • Either SE_VGA, ozVGA or Tweaks2K2 (haven’t tested them all yet to see which works best). Allows you to put your Dell into “true” VGA mode by eliminating the Intel 2700G pixel doubling. Some apps don’t like it very much, but it’s just about invaluable for web browsing. (Tweaks2K2 also unlocks dozens more “hidden” features in WM2003/2005 you can tweak and play with)
  • Chronos. Very nice little clock app with multi-format audio playback for alarms – and it actually works! (You may not have that problem with WM2005, but the alarms are a little flaky under WM2003SE so it’s nice to have an app that works) no VGA support yet, unfortunately, but it’s not all that necessary.
  • APBRT Flash Player. Use for animated Today themes or playing your favourite Flash games or viewing Flash animations.
  • Pocket Controller. Lets you control your PDA visually from your desktop using mouse and keyboard.

The emulators are cool too. There’s even a Palm emulator, though I haven’t tried it yet; it’s fairly old so it may not work quite right.