Have PDAs fallen out of fashion?

A couple of years ago, it seems like every moke on the bus had a PDA (Palm Pilot, etc.) to fiddle with. They were status-y thing to have, and for a while, I thought I really needed one. But I never did get one, and it’s been a while since I even thought about needing one. I don’t see that many around anymore, either. Did people get tired of them? Anybody here have the experience of thinking your Palm was going to revolutionize your life, only to find out it didn’t?

I liked my Palm, but as much for the games I could install on it as for the organizer functions. I pretty much put it away for good when the Nintendo DS came out.

I wondered if I should get one. But my important phone numbers are on my mobile, and I have a little notebook and a pen. Never saw a use for one.

Ever since I was forced into having (read: begged and pleaded to have) a Blackberry, my PDA has been collecting dust. And I the more I look, the more people I see that have Blackberries now, at least in the business community. I’m not sure if they’re the “new hotness” yet, but they seem to be making a solid run.

I use mine all the time. But then, mine is a Pocket PC (much better than the Palm platform, IMO) and I have a Nintendo emulator on it. I play Castlevania during my bathroom breaks. :smiley:

I love all things technological and I never really understood the need for a PDA. A former job gave me a Palm III and I just used it to play chess and Dope Wars. I don’t understand why people’s lives are so complicated thet they need a small computer to manage it. A cell phone and a paper organizer are more convienent. In addition, I am skeptical of all-in-one devices of any stripe. If you need a GPS then buy a dedicated GPS. If you need to send e-mail from the road then use a full-fledged laptop or a Blackberry. A PDA seems like a device designed by committee to try to do everything and it does none of them well.

I use my PDA all the time. I’m in the medical field and have a prescription drug reference on it, our patients’ appointments, my meetings and other info, and various other things that I need.

I don’t lead a particularly complicated life and I use my PDA all the time. Although I’d rather, like my husband, have a Treo. It makes perfect sense to combine a PDA with a phone (like the Blackberry). I sort of hate carrying two devices. But what I REALLY like is the Desktop feature, where I can enter things on my computer, and refer to them there. I actually use this more than the actual PDA.I use it more as a travelling device to sync my home and office computers with all my addresses and appointments (and kids’ deadlines and appointments! I have more stuff on there for them than for me!).

Some of us are disorganized and forgetful, but comfortable using electronic devices. My life is hardly complicated, but I use my PDA a lot. It’s a central depository for all contact information, ToDo items and schedule reminders. Even for the regularly scheduled meetings, sometimes I lose track of time and have to be reminded by the PDA’s alarm.

I don’t understand why people’s lives are so complicated that they need a paper organizer while a small notepad is more convenient.

I never carried a paper organizer with me, no matter what kind, what size, what organizational method. I hated using it.

I like using a PDA. I can look up when my patients have been in to see me and when their next appointments are, without a ton of page turning and checking each page to see if that patient is listed there. I can play a game on it while on the train, during my long commute. I can beam contact info to a colleague’s PDA, avoiding transcription errors and lots of writing - 3 contact numbers, address, name spelling and all done in a second. I can hold the entire hospital’s directory on it if I want. I have, cross-referenced and at a glance, prescription drug information and interactions. This particular program is updated monthly or even more frequently, so I know immediately if a drug has new FDA warnings associated with it, or if another drug is now non-experimental and is approved by the FDA. I have a metric conversion program, and another that lets me plug in age, gender, weight, and creatinine levels to get a quick creatinine clearance value without having to remember the formula (specifically, I get the gender difference factor confused). All of this without having to leave the room where the patient is.

I love my PDA! I bought it 17 months ago, and at this point I’d be a little lost without it. It has some features that I don’t use (like a voice recorder and all of the web/cell phone/Bluetooth stuff), but I regularly use the calendar, photo album, address book, games, MS Office document reader, and memos/notes. I’ve also downloaded free applications that provide a 1st aid reference, will play (and show me) any chord I want, and help me manage my shopping list.

I use the calendar to keep track of 5 main categories of appointments: work, school, personal, Toastmasters, and volunteer. I don’t feel that my life is “so complicated,” but I’d rather be organized. What difference does it make to you?

Maybe for you. I find the PDA much easier to carry around than any paper organizer (because of its size), and it holds a lot more stuff.

I don’t understand why people need small notepads when the back of your hand is right there.

Hmm… it seems like people still do use the things. Maybe what’s disappeared is the ostentiation. That and the novelty factor.

Hands! Luxury! When I was a lad we didn’t have hands. We had to make do with sticky tape stuck onto stumps to pick things up! Kids today have it so easy.

You do have a point there. I have never had a paper organizer and always wondered what people did with the things. In all honesty, I just use scraps of paper for the few things that need to be written down. The mystery predates the PDA.

My PDA is mostly a PABD: Pocket Anti-Boredom Device. In addition to holding some notes, phone numbers, and the like, it has lots of games, a 1 gig SD card full of MP3s and a few novels. Plus, it makes a dandy scientific calculator, which is handy for a scientist such as myself.

Either

Your life is way less complicated than mine (which is pretty uncomplicated)

Or

(more likely)

you are endowed with not only certain gifts of memory but the gift of those memories occurring at the right time. If this is the case be thankful, but have compassion for the more distractable of your brethen.

Scraps of paper? quickly buried under other scraps of paper. And how do you know you’ll see that scrap of paper at the right time?

I can’t live w/o my palm/phone combo. The most important function to me is that you can schedule and event and then set the thing to REMIND you of the event coming up. I have sometimes had it remind me of an appt. 5 days before, then reset for 3 days before, then for 1 day, then for 15 hours, then for 5, then for 45 minutes.

If I didn’t have it, I’d feel like part of my brain was missing.

[hijack]
Which scientific calculator do you use? I still haven’t found a satisfactory one for my Palm.
[/hijack]

And ditto the anti-boredom use. I primarily use AvantGo for this purpose (off-line web browser, gets updated automatically when I sync to the PC). Whenever I have a few minutes of idle time I can catch up on the New York Times, BBC News, etc.

I want a small, relatively dumb PDA, for one purpose: ebooks.

At the moment I can only read my ebooks on my computer. And this is a problem. It means I can’t read ebooks in two places that I do a lot of my reading: Bed and the bathroom.