Copywrite: The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary.

The word is Copyright folks, you know who you are.

Alt+0169

Is it the opposite of copyleft or copywrong? Because what I do know is that copywrite and copyread are something like hard disk functions … or something.

BTW and while we are here I would like to point out that ground water does not effect anything although it might affect the electrical resistance of the soil.

Don’t you have to use ground water with ground coffee?

UncleBeer:

Thanks for putting up the keystroke shortcut for ©, i use these every chance i get. Was looking around today for a unicode ‘schwa’ symbol, but had no luck (keystroke or otherwise). Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

What you have to remember is that © is not when you write a copy, it is your right to MAKE a copy of your work.

or something like that. it’s a RIGHT, not a WRITING.

Oh, and Shakespeare wasn’t a playwrite, either.

When working in the ad business, or web media, if your customer indicates that they want you to write for them, it’s CopyWRITE, Copy/Write, or Write/Copy.

Might not be in the dictionary, but it still exists…just not in the context mentioned above.

Sam

Yes, but copywriting has nothing to do with ©. You can copyright your written copy but that’s not the same at all.

I might also add that while a copy editor edits copy, a copyeditor copyedits copy. (Thank you, Karen Judd.)

A friend of mine keeps talking about things that are “copywritten” when she really means “copyrighted.” ARGH!

Scarlett, copyeditor who is proofreading today

Copywrite is also the name of a company that manufactures mediocre spinoff merchandise, but that’s also not the context in which it so commonly appears around these parts. :smiley:

what’s a “schwa”?

©

© = schwa?

then why did he ask for help finding a schwa after thanking unclebeer for giving him the code for ©?? :confused:

A schwa is the upside-down “e” used to represent an unaccented vowel. (Some linguist will be along shortly to expand on this, I’m sure.) Some quick-and-dirty Googling shows that some systems use @ or /@/ to represent the schwa.

Scarlett67
Thanks for coming to my rescue there, i was in the midst of pulling my hair out!

[sym]¶[/sym] < Does it look like this?
[sup](I don’t think that’s actually it, but it does look like what you describe Scarlett)[/sup]

or maybe you mean this > [sym]’[/sym]
Or this > [sym]$[/sym]
?

I will not belch the national anthem
I will not belch the

• isn’t that what I’m doing now - copy-writing?

Redbart

Good guesses, all, but the schwa looks exactly like a lowercase “e” rotated 180 degrees. You could create one on paper by cutting out an “e” and pasting it into your document upside down.

In WordPerfect, it’s Ctrl+W 2,66. I couldn’t find a generic symbol for it in Word, but it does appear in the Lucida Sans Unicode font. Here’s a link that explains how to enable Unicode to display IPA symbols.

Oh, and **octothorpe{/b]? Nifty username. :slight_smile: