Corn Bread recipes please!

I am seriously craving corn bread. I do not have a recipe and all the ones I’m finding online conflict with each other (eggs, no eggs; bacon fat, no bacon fat; butter, no butter; sugar, no sugar, etc)

I do not have any eggs so that’s easy enough to figure out. I also have no bacon fat and no bacon to get fat.

So, how should I make my cornbread? I like it sweet or savory. I am from New England so I don’t think I’ll be struck down by lightening if I don’t follow a strict Southern recipe. I do have a cast iron pan.

So what’s your recipe?

Previous corn bread thread.

Off the top of my head…

A cup of cornmeal, 3/4 cup flour, a cup of milk, a large egg, some melted butter (say, half a stick?), a couple of teaspoons of baking powder, and say half a teaspoon of salt. Mix the wet, mix the dry, then mix them together. Grease (Crisco) a cast iron frying pan and put it into a 400°F oven until it’s done.

Note that I have an actual recipe at home, and it may say different.

Anyway, here’s a great thing you can do with cornbread. Once you’ve made the batter, put in about a cup (depending on how much batter you’ve made) of shredded medium-sharp cheddar cheese. Mince two or three chipotle chiles from a can and mix them in. Now you have chipotle-cheddar cornbread. Oh, yummy. :slight_smile: