Corn tassles

TIL!

But enough about the growing of corn on the cob and the cooking of corn on the cob. Let’s address the important issue: the eating of corn on the cob.

Tired of butter and salt? Try mayo and chili-lime spice. Or Italian dressing and grated parmesan cheese.

Butter and Chili Lime spice is my favorite.

Butter and instant French onion soup powder. No, really.

Butter, salt, pepper, and a splash of hot sauce.

Now for the REAL important question regarding corn eating - one that will determine everything we need to know about you…

Eat corn:
A. Around.
B. Across.

Choose wisely.

A.K.A. “typewriter style” or “cylinder style”. I was about to ask that next myself.

Save those gnawed corn cobs, BTW, for the day the Great Toilet Paper Famine really hits.

Pardon me for interrupting this well answered thread with an observation that Corn Tassles would be an excellent name for a Jug Band. Maybe a Skiffle band. Do they play skiffle anymore?

Dumb question. But a long time ago I was on Pelle Island on Lake Erie, and encountered some college girls who were employed to remove the tassels from corn stalks. Why did they do this?

Strain A is planted in certain rows and Strain B is in others. Looking at the rows from a drone:

A A A A B B A A A A

Yank the tassels from A rows before they can mature and the only pollen produced comes from the B rows. Then rely on wind or helicopters to spread it around to create a hybrid.

Mendel would have been proud.

I eat across. And except for the first row I eat, I eat it by sort of prying the kernals off with my teeth, so they come off cleanly. When I’m done I only have messy sticky wasted bits of corns stuck to the cob for about 3 rows of kernals. This is the correct way to eat cord on the cob.

My husband was raised in a barn and eats it around, leaving a mess everywhere. :wink:

Pelee Island. From French pélée, literally ‘peeled’, because it’s bare of trees. It’s the second-southernmost point of Canada, except for nearby Middle Island, the southernmost of Canada. Nearby Point Pelee is the southernmost point of the Canadian mainland. Growing up in Ohio, it was the nearest foreign land. I could just see the islands across the lake from Ohio’s Put-In-Bay.

I had the job of detasseling for a couple summers for Pioneer. Terrible, hot, sweaty, and itchy job.

Just one of the 10,000.

According to the thread list page, this thread has been viewed a bit over 1300 times.

Still got a ways to go. It’s taking longer than you thought.

It’s also taking longer than I thought for someone to answer this.

Anybody?

Uh – won’t the ears in the B rows NOT be hybrids? Or do you just not harvest those rows?

Your question-- “does boiling it tend to wash out some, as is often said about boiling other veggies?”

I can make an educated guess. When the kernel is still attached to the cob, there’s no opening out of the interior of the kernels for any liquid or nutrients to escape, so you’re not going to lose anything like you would if you boiled cut kernels in water and all the juices came out. It should be the same, nutrient-wise, as grilling/roasting them, for that matter.

Boiling does remove a lot of flavor, steaming cooks fast and minimizes the degradation of nutrients while maintaining flavor. You’re also cheating yourself if you don’t steam corn with some corn oil.

Maize is an ancient polyploid, as well as having extremely repetitive DNA (retrotransposons comprise >50% of the genome). It would take a lot more than simple breeding to recreate the ancestral maize genome. Better to start with teosinte, which more closely resembles the ancestral diploid state than modern maize.

1 cup of corn contains 5.4 grams of protein, 41 grams of carbs, 4.6 grams of fiber, 17% of your needed daily vitamin C, 24% of B1, 19% of folate, 11% of magnesium, 10% of potassium. Corn also contains both lutein and zeaxanthin which promote eye health and good vision and might help prevent macular degeneration (not yet proven).

The downsides are that all those carbs are mostly starch which can spike your blood sugar if you have any issues in that area, refined corn products can lose a lot of nutrients, as can the length/manner of cooking. Vitamin C is particularly vulnerable to heat, so prolong cooking methods are likely to degrade that.

I could not find information on that specifically, but what needscoffee said about whole vs. cut probably applies.