Coronavirus COVID-19 (2019-nCoV) Thread - 2020 Breaking News

I’m also concerned for the other people in the prison, as if she does have it I doubt they deserve to be infected from her.

Last night I was driving home from work at midnight. This was Friday night becoming Saturday morning. Somebody had crashed on the freeway ahead and we were slowed to about 5mph.

Adjacent to me was a convertible with the top down, and 6 college-aged people crammed into it. All hollering and waving at another similar convertible adjacent which another 6 similar people crammed into it.

Having a convertible myself, but with the top up, I ran my top down and shouted over: “Hey, can I join your group?” FTR I’m a gray-haired 60-ish person dressed in my work uniform. Instantly they’re all hollering and waving at me and inviting me to join them. It’s obvious they’ve all been drinking just a wee bit. Including the drivers.

As the conversation develops, they’re all refugees from up North, having flown to Miami a few days ago as a group to get away from the cold. And right now they’re on their way to some nightclub I’ve never heard of and want me to join them. “No thanks, us fogeys need our sleep.” And sotto voce don’t want your damn COVID either.

Wow - here in the south of England things just got ugly. A new security level (“Tier 4”) is being introduced to contain the spread associated with a new coronavirus variant.

From midnight, a new tier four will be introduced in areas including London, Kent, Essex and Bedfordshire.
A stay-at-home order will be issued to residents there, with those travelling to work or for education exempt.
Social mixing will be cut to meeting one person in an open public space.

BBC story which is srill being compiled and expanded as I post this:

j

I think I agree with you. Is it that much more dangerous than a DUI?

The New York State Department of Health is now investigating Covid-19 denier Kelly Brogan M.D.

When your brand of crazy gets to be too much for Gwyneth Paltrow’s GOOP, you must really be out there.

Also in the news: there’s quite a kerfuffle in France over the arrest of Jean-Bernard Fourtillan. His adherents claim he’s been confined in a psychiatric hospital for questioning the official line about the pandemic and vaccination - but the real story is that he and a fellow-antivax nutter are in trouble for running an unauthorized clinical trial of a hormone patch that’s supposed to treat everything from Alzheimer’s disease to depression and psychosis.

Well, I could get behind up to a month in the calaboose. Four seems like too much. But yes, breaking quarantine is serious, put her in slam for a while.

The added driver to this is that is is believed (fairly authoritively by medical professionals) that we have a more infectious mutation. No news about where it might have originated but it is apparenetly up to 70% more infectious but not thought to be any more lethal.

This MIGHT explain what is happening in Italy and Spain - it might not. Seems there is a lot to learn, the situation keeps changing.

Whilst we in the Northern areas of the UK have been in the third tier - the highest UK lockdown condition - the rates of infection have stabilised to some degree but they have not declined all that much, and this is readily apparent in the CDC UK data, some areas went down but as an average across lots of T3 areas it is fairly flat.

That new T4 level is very nearly the same as the earlier lockdown - no indoor mixing of people ffrom differant households - no mention yet of a selected ‘bubble’.

When schools were opened up and insistance from the political lead that they remain open, there were lots of voices expressing doubts although I can very much understand why there was a drive to maintain school attendance from a social, learning and parents work point of view.

If it does turn out to be fully verified this agent is more infectious then it really increases the pressure because it will result in faster increases in hospital demand.

We will need to see if this is more widespread than the UK alone.

Sensors check too warm and too cold. Here’s a link to a number of stories with problem storage/shipment.

https://tinyurl.com/ybe4typ4

No vaccines have been approved in the EU, though it is expected that the BioNTech-Pfizer vaccine will gain approval from the European Medicine Agency on Monday.

She’s been there over three weeks now - she’s unlikely to actually have it by this point (not that this excuses her original decisions)

Also, the Cayman Islands has about ten times less Covid and thirty times less Covid deaths than the US (perhaps because they are being very strict with their quarantines?) So although prisons in general are terrible places for infection, a Cayman prison is probably less of an infection hotspot than wandering around her own home town

At the risk of stating the obvious, the only reason her punishment seems severe is because we’re constantly exposed to a significant proportion of our own fucking political leadership minimizing COVID every day. The injustice is not that it’s wrong for her to be in prison, it’s that half our leadership should be.

Got some stats & news here:

And, as noted already:

The new British variant is extremely concerning because the mutation affects the spike protein, which is what the current vaccines target. If the spike protein changes too much, there could be a difference in how well the vaccine works.

Is any travel currently allowed in and out of Great Britain? I wonder if swifter action will be taken to contain this variant than the original virus.

The new restrictions still seem lax given what is unknown about the variant.

No evidence yet that it affects vaccine efficacy, but I think that’s a straight up “no evidence” because they have not yet been able to evaluate.

Do Canadian courts have flags with yellow fringes around them? If so, joinder is created with the United States and U. S. Admiralty Law, and specifically the Uniform Commercial Code, applies. :roll_eyes:

China reports 23 new cases today, for a reported rate of 3 cases per million people. Nothing to see here folks. No reason at all to doubt these cromulent statistics.

Can you elaborate on this? What does that mean? I can start a separate thread if it’d be better.

See here:

https://boards.straightdope.com/t/is-there-a-bottom-line-to-all-these-sovereign-citizen-cases/926331