Coronavirus COVID-19 (2019-nCoV) Thread - 2021 Breaking News

A wash.

You spent eight weeks at risk (or four weeks…not quite sure what you are saying) before you got the vaccine. But you did not contract covid and got the vaccine.

Sorry for being unclear. I’m saying that I waited an extra four weeks before getting my second dose. I’ve heard that there’s some data that seems to suggest a longer wait is better, but I don’t know if that’s true or if it applies to Moderna.

I got my first dose after my dad (who lives with me) was fully vaccinated, and he got his the week he was eligible, and got his second dose four weeks later.

Likely better. Many boosters work better if you wait longer between doses. Maybe the same.

I’d guess that since the technologies are similar, the dosage and time between jabs are major factors.

Aside to your aside: I have been seeing this phrasing more and more lately. Maybe related to the changes and advancements in gender identity and related issues in the last 15-20 years.

One also hears “We’re pregnant” (from either member of a couple) a lot more than one used to.

If using 3 times as much active ingredient is all that’s needed to make the vaccine more effective why didn’t Pfizer do it? Heck, why didn’t they use 15 or 20 times as much active ingredient?

It’s an emerging science. Too strong a dose may lead to complications, so there’s probably a limit to the dosage.

For the blue state vs red state debate:

Alberta is at a 7 day average of 27 cases per 100,000, and they are freaking out because it’s so high. BC is at 9.3, Quebec is at 8.8 and Ontario is at 4.8

Is Alberta especially conservative or liberal compared to the others? (I really do not know)

I’ve heard it called the Texas of Canada, if that gives you an indication.

Alberta is the Canadian Texas. And yes, that applies to politics too, not just oil.

ETA dammit, ninja’d

Yeah as Leaper said, Alberta is North North Texas. A definite middle finger to the rest of Canada, probably because of its history as an oil producer.

Conservative, low vaccination rates, high COVID rates and dangerously high hospitalization rates. The premier came out this summer and declared the pandemic over. Reality had different ideas.

I’ve heard Alberta called the Canadian bible belt, too.

We’re number fifty! We’re number fifty!

The liberal northeast is also looking relatively less bad than most of the country right now. But our schools only just opened, so things might be getting worse.

229,292,520 total cases
4,705,482 dead
205,922,518 recovered

In the US:

42,900,906 total cases
691,880 dead
32,503,995 recovered

YesterdayTwo days ago’s numbers for comparison:

You want an effective vaccine with low side effects. I have read, though I don’t recall where now, that Moderna has slightly more side effects. Also, getting enough doses, as well as vials to hold the doses, etc. was a concern, especially at the outset. (So you don’t want to use up 20x as much as is needed per injection). Pfizer had a protocol that resulted in something like 95% efficacy, which was outstanding, and a set of side effects that happened commonly, but weren’t serious. That was an extremely successful vaccine.

No one knew when they designed the protocols how long the immunity would last for Pfizer, Moderna, or J and J.

Pfizer’s vaccine and protocol had an advantage of slightly lower side effects and reaching full vaccination status (full efficacy) earlier. It turns out that that was a bit of a trade off for how long it would last, but it’s not like they knew at the time that it would make much difference. The three vaccines available in the US were all built with different priorities. No one knew when they started which would be the Goldilocks formulation.

Pfizer has results from their trial of kids 5-11 and will apply for an EUA. They recommend a dose of 10 micrograms (as compared to 30 for adults) and find that generated antibodies comparable to the higher dose in older people. I assume they didn’t see any horrible side effects in the study, either.

They say they will have results for younger kids (6 months+) 4th quarter.