Coronavirus COVID-19 (2019-nCoV) Thread - 2021 Breaking News

A year ago the word “collapse” was kicked around, and we wondered what that meant, what “collapse” of healthcare systems would look like. India was a preview. It got to the point where they stopped counting the dead - they just couldn’t count them. Many just dropping dead in the streets before being quickly buried. Hospitals out of beds, out of oxygen, out of healthcare crews who physically ran out of endurance.

This seems to be close to happening here, if it isn’t already. The US healthcare system is increasingly under such strain in many places that its going to end up having third world outcomes for many treatable diseases. Not just COVID but for diseases that our system can normally treat with few complications.

Florida is a solid fourth right now but is looking to muscle into the top three; look out New York!

I spent two weeks this summer with my relatives in Alaska. Whether they’re politically left or (more often) right, Alaskans are, almost by definition, folks who want to get away from people telling them what to do.

(Well, they’re happy to accept the state’s yearly petroleum-based funds, and they do drive on the right side of the road…but anyway…)

No, what I meant was express mathematically how much more valuable a military person was than an ordinary person. The 1:500 number is just a measurement, not a value judgement.

FDA vaccine advisers reject Pfizer’s booster request

But I think they approved it for people 65 and over, right? Or did I misread the article that I thought I read?

I saw that initial headline and shook my head, but if they’re saying “Let’s wait for general approval on the booster now but give it to people 65 and over, in addition to the immunocompromised,” that doesn’t seem to unreasonable to me.

They rejected Pfizer’s proposal, but left open the possibility that they might spruce it for some subset of the population, like old people.

Oh, wait, they have approved it for older folks. That happened a little after the first announcement:

FDA Advisory Panel Endorses Covid-19 Boosters for People 65-Plus or at High Risk FDA Advisory Panel Endorses Covid-19 Boosters for People 65-Plus or at High Risk of Severe Illness - WSJ

Breaking News
FDA Advisory Panel Endorses Covid-19 Booster Shots for People 65 Years and Older
Panel Also Endorses Covid-19 Booster Shots for People at High Risk of Covid-19
Panel Vote Followed Earlier Vote That Rejected Boosters for People 16 Years and Older

The following article will be updated shortly.
A Food and Drug Administration voted against recommending the approval of extra doses of the Covid-19 vaccine for most people in the U.S., but a second vote on a narrower recommendation could follow.

WSJ article is paywalled.

If that’s right, though, I’d be eligible on at least one ground and maybe two. Wonder what the best timing was? I had both Pfizer shots last March; so I’m about five months out.

Yes, the Washington Post says, as I understand it, they rejected the application to add boosters to the protocol for the approved vaccine. They recommended emergency use authorization for third shots for people over 65, and those at high risk of severe disease. That may be more than just immunocompromised people – there weren’t any details yet.

I’m not surprised by that, considering the small size and short duration of the booster study. And there were no 16 or 17 year olds in that study. They are at highest risk from the vaccine, and lowest risk from covid. It makes sense to me that they recommended a more granular approach than just adding it to the approved protocol.

BREAKING: In an all-day FDA advisory meeting, experts unanimously recommended a coronavirus vaccine booster be authorized for people 65 and older and those at high risk of severe disease. The panel earlier resoundingly voted against approving Pfizer’s application for a broader approval of boosters for everyone 16 and older.

Right, the advisory panel unanimously recommended emergency use authorization of boosters for age 65+ and others with conditions that put them at high risk of severe COVID-19.

~Max

Great news.

Yeah, although you can get a couple of free articles each month. I pay for it because i have been very happy with their reporting. But i posted the main points.

Israel is recommending boosting after 5 months. I think the FDA is likely to recommend 6 or 8 months. There’s not a big reduction in efficacy through 6 months, per other studies I’ve seen.

From that article:

"I don’t think a booster dose is going to significantly contribute to controlling the pandemic,” said Dr. Cody Meissner, a professor of pediatrics at Tufts University School of Medicine.

My bold.

That’s a pretty wishy-washy statement.

I am finally, cautiously, getting more optimistic that the FDA and CDC are beginning to recognize that their protocols on everything from surveillance to guidance to recommendations on vaccine approval (FDA purview), though successful in many other situations and well-founded, may not be what we need for a threat that evolves constantly and requires real-time surveillance and response. I think it’s just been a matter of adhering to well-established, historically effective, protocols on one hand and dealing with this emergent threat on the other.

One in 500 Americans has died of COVID, per CNN and WaPo and other sites:

I thought that seemed too high - but per Worldometer there have been 690,000 deaths, and US population is something like 330 million - so the math works. Yikes.

Complete headline:
Texas doctors, seeing unprecedented numbers of pregnant patients with COVID-19, urge pregnant people to get vaccinated

Pregnant women have one of the lowest vaccination rates in the United States: As of Sept. 4, about 25% of pregnant women ages 18 to 49 have received at least one vaccine dose nationally, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That’s significantly less than the most recent national average for that age group, which is about 61%.

Aside: I think it would have been okay to say “pregnant women” in the headline. “Pregnant people” just sounds weird.

228,415,001 total cases
4,692,850 dead
204,998,087 recovered

In the US:

42,799,907 total cases
690,714 dead
32,434,166 recovered

Yesterday’s numbers for comparison:

Hawaii set a new record for Covid deaths today, 15. More than 100 have died since the start of the month. I know that’s chicken feed compared with some states, but it’s a significant boost for us.

Data collected from 18 states between March and August suggest the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine reduces the risk of being hospitalized with COVID-19 by 91% in the first four months after receiving the second dose. Beyond 120 days, however, that vaccine efficacy drops to 77%.

Meanwhile, Moderna’s vaccine was 93% effective at reducing the short-term risk of COVID-19 hospitalization and remained 92% effective after 120 days.

I guess I’m glad I got the Moderna shots.

This doesn’t seem like a good idea to me: