Coronavirus COVID-19 (2019-nCoV) Thread - 2021 Breaking News

The CDC says that many Americans, fully-vaccinated, of course, can safely be outdoors without masks unless in densely packed groups or crowds.

Tennessee:

Louisiana:

I’m not really convinced Louisiana is ready to relax; I suppose we’ll see soon enough if it this was unwise.

Oregon not doing well:

Huh, that doesn’t bode well. Any indication what’s driving the increase in Oregon?

Even as vaccinations protect more and more Oregonians, a variety of factors – the lifting of restrictions, virus variants, perhaps some people letting down their guard – has led to a spike in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations. The more contagious B.1.1.7 coronavirus variant, first detected last December in Great Britain, is now responsible for most of the infections in Oregon.

Oregon used to be one of the most successful states. Now:

New cases over the past two weeks have been accelerating faster in Oregon than in any other state in the country – with a 63% increase in the past two weeks, according to The New York Times’ ranking of states. Oregon ranks 25th overall in new cases per capita over that same time period.

My brother lives in Mumbai and he says some people in his apartment complex are so terrified they will not step out of the house, lockdown or not. A relative in Delhi says the very air feels toxic, which astounded me. This is a high level of fear psychosis.

The new variant, though ultra-contagious, is probably just as much or less virulent than the strain that was dominant during the first wave in India - the mortality % does not seem to have jumped in a big way. But even people who were working from home, and took all precautions, are getting infected. The infectivity of the new variant(s) is off the charts.

Not making a claim here, but the ultra-infective Indian variant has been found in the US. Could be one reason for the increase in case load.

The article quoted above says:

That’s not supposed to be as bad as some of the new Indian variants.

149,338,174 total cases
3,148,894 dead
127,009,337 recovered

In the US:

32,927,091 total cases
587,384 dead
25,521,913 recovered

Yesterday’s numbers for comparison:

The world will cross the 150,000,000 case mark tomorrow.

I predict a new cliche:

“Why, Miss Jones, without your mask you’re beautiful!

(ducks and runs)

Aw geez. What next?

COVID-19 has overwhelmed health-care systems and disrupted TB care all over the world. Peru in particular has struggled to secure sufficient personal protective equipment and continue medical services during the pandemic. “Public health systems in most countries have not made adequate adjustments to care for people with TB in the context of COVID,” says Carole Mitnick, a professor of global health and social medicine at Harvard Medical School. Unless major changes occur, she adds, “we’re going to see the effects of this pandemic for generations.”

A three-month lockdown followed by a 10-month restoration period [of TB services] could result in an additional 6.3 million cases and an additional 1.4 million deaths worldwide in the next five years, according to research from the Stop TB Partnership, an international body coordinating the fight against the disease.

“I see a bad moon rising. I see trouble on the way.”

Massive leprosy outbreaks next?

There are people here who have stated they haven’t been to a doctor of any sort since last March. Maybe just a reminder that life marches on, and there are plenty of other maladies that people may need to treat. Forgoing all medical treatment may do more harm than good.

That reminded me of something that made the local news recently.

At least 1,053 people died from Alzheimer’s disease in Colorado during the first six months of the pandemic, which is up 26% from the 3-year-average for the same period, according to data from the state Department of Public Health and Environment.

If you see a plague of frogs start falling from the sky, be sure to run away, run away!!1! And sacrifice a bull. Pronto!

Medicare patients get a free no-copay “wellness check” annually. It’s really perfunctory. The doctor says “how ya been feeling this past year? Anything new you want to bring up?” and orders a routine blood test. My HMO has been doing that by remote televideo conferences. If you have any actual new complaint, then maybe the doc will set you up with a live appointment.

That’s hard to do for dental visits or colonoscopies. Or any number of things. Time marches on.

It’s a lot more dangerous for the workers than it is for me. Yes, one risk is greater than zero. And 10 risks, 50 risks are greater than one. At over a year’s time, there would be a question of mis-assessment of risk for someone still not getting needed care done.

Why in the world would that be abnormal? That could easily happen outside the pandemic if you never got more than a viral or self limiting infection. And people report catching less bugs due to the masking and such.

I’m not saying people aren’t more hesitant to go to the doctor, but your post doesn’t sound alarming at all to me.

Oh, and, well, I’m going to follow the CDC recommendations, which say to avoid unnecessary outings. As far as I’m concerned, that includes the eye doctor or non-emergency dentistry.

Life goes on, but many things can be safely postponed. Or, like going to the doctor for a cold, were never necessary in the first place.

150,256,873 total cases
3,164,577 dead
127,795,714 recovered

In the US:

32,983,695 total cases
588,337 dead
25,584,747 recovered

Yesterday’s numbers for comparison: