Coronavirus COVID-19 (2019-nCoV) Thread - 2021 Breaking News

Man, if you would have told 1980’s me that such a thing were to occur in 2021, I would have replied that yeah, 2021 is going to be in the fantastic futuristic super world.

I guess if you’re high enough we do have flying cars in 2021!

175,177,177 total cases
3,777,097 dead
158,696,555 recovered

In the US:

34,264,727 total cases
613,494 dead
28,254,091 recovered

Yesterday’s numbers for comparison:

It ain’t over for everyone. :anguished:

I just heard that on the radio. Excellent news.

Has anyone noticed that the state of Florida, which was averaging between 2000 and 5000 new cases per day during the month of May, has not had a new case reported since June 3? What’s going on down in Florida? Did they find a magic spring?

175,622,971 total cases
3,788,831 dead
159,172,266 recovered

In the US:

34,275,783 total cases
614,007 dead
28,278,394 recovered

Yesterday’s numbers for comparison:

On WoM they do show new cases still occurring every day:

When I mouse-over the Daily New Cases in Florida chart, the last day that has any cases is June 3 (1,878). Click on the 7-day moving average and it drops to zero for June 10.

Apparently Florida and Alabama are no longer doing daily reports of Covid cases.

But there have been Monday/Wednesday/Fridays since June 3rd, so if they have cases they should have been reporting them.

Also, 91-divoc is still showing Florida with more than 1500 cases per day in the weekly average days, which is what i usually look at. Even when they report every day weekends get pedicurist fewer reported cases, and it makes more sense to look at weekly averages.

Not really. Their last datapoint for Florida for the 7-day average graph is 696.9 for Wednesday, showing a sharp decline all week.

From Puzzlegal’s link, Alabama appears to be updated, that is, no obvious drop-off. Florida has gone completely off-line, it seems.

Huh, maybe i failed to update? It can be a little hard to read on my phone.

The powers that be in Florida decided to stop reporting on a daily basis. In theory there are now weekly reports but I haven’t found them. We’re basically operating in the dark now.

The state went to reporting only once a week. My county in Texas has just shifted to weekly reports as well.

So they said they’re shifting to weekly but went completely offline? That’s sooo Florida (I used to live there).

This doesn’t look like they’ve stopped reporting. Just gotten sporadic. It has not yet been a weeks since the last update.

Excess cases of myocarditis or pericarditis – heart inflammation – have been associated with kids in particular, and people under 30, who’ve had the Covid vaccination. The risk/benefit is still in favor of vaccination, according to this article. No deaths, and 81% fully recovered, so far.

This risk is associated more with males. They don’t yet know why or how it is happening. I presume it’s the Pfizer shot for kids, as that’s the only one approved. And it’s mentioned as after the 2nd shot, so presumably Pfizer and Moderna for adults. I’ll check for a better article.

Here’s an article with more medical-oriented information.

It has this information, which I hadn’t seen quantified before, which helps put the risk/benefit in perspective. There have been Covid deaths of children in the hundreds, but there’s a serious, life-threatening condition that Covid can cause in kids as well.

While children — particularly younger children — are generally much less susceptible to the worst effects of Covid-19 than adults, hospitalizations and deaths do occur. There have also been more than 4,000 cases of MIS-C in the United States, an inflammatory disorder that can occur after a case of Covid-19 and can require urgent care.

You can find the weekly COVID-19 reports on the Florida Department of Health website