Coronavirus COVID-19 (2019-nCoV) Thread - 2021 Breaking News

Not that I can see. Just by island. Here is today’s breakdown. They have one of these every day. By island, yes.

187,279,048 total cases
4,043,015 dead
171,253,989 recovered

In the US:

34,726,111 total cases
622,821 dead
29,234,930 recovered

Yesterday’s numbers for comparison:

With the New South Wales outbreak gathering steam, Australia’s had its first COVID death this year - a woman in her 90s. Unvaccinated (I have a possibly unworthy impulse to say what was she thinking? … but of course it might not have been her choice). Australian full vaccination rates are currently at 9% (yes, nine fucking percent! Gah!) so this is really not the time to let it get away from us and sweep round the country.

How available are vaccines in Australia?

Not very, it’s a bit of a Charlie Foxtrot TBH. There’s some Pfizer, but they’re still trying to get that into the older population and healthcare workers … I think the current age restriction is 40+ but you have to book. Masses of Astra Zeneca but the messaging is so confused around who should get it (Anyone, it’s fine! No, wait, maybe you shouldn’t unless you’re over 50. Over 60. Hell, just get it if you want it…) that now nobody wants to. And they’re doing 12 week delay till the second shot too. It’s a mess.

I talked to my cousin in Perth the other day (age 75): he’s had one shot of AstraZeneca, but is reluctant to get a second dose because of precisely that confusing messaging, plus confidence in controlling the disease at ports and borders.

Vaccination happened as fast as the limited supplies of vaccines, which wasn’t very fast: far slower than in countries that had actual medical emergencies. We didn’t even give ‘emergency approval’ to new vaccines: lacking an emergency, they go through the normal approval process.

Two of the 4 vaccines that were lined up for government support failed, and roll-out of AZ stalled because of the blood-clot issue. Orders arriving from suppliers arrived slow and late, because country-of-origin, with actual disease load, took priority.

But even given all that, it was irritating: vaccine didn’t always go into the arms that should have had highest priority, and there was never a time when vaccination rate was high enough to exhaust supply.

I’m going to speak about another state, but I think NSW was similar. Most people who were resident in an aged care home at the specific date when they vaccinated that aged care home are vaccinated. Old people who were in hospital, or in rehab, or at home weren’t vaccinated. But later, they were able to get vaccinated at their own cost if their doctor was approved, and could get the vaccine. Then a few state operated locations opened up, if you had transport, or someone to take the morning off and transport you. Now pharmacy/chemists are getting authorisation – but only in rural locations.

If my mother was still in hospital, I think she still would not be vaccinated. She got vaccinated because my sister took her to a doctor after she was released.

They are just now starting TV advertising encouraging the general public to get vaccinated. I think that there are probably many many old people who haven’t been to the doctor in the last year, who don’t get out much, who’ve had no real opportunity to get vaccinated.

I believe AZ for the first dose, Pfizer for the second is considered a good combination if you can get it (it seems wild to me, but does appear to be legit medical opinion). Your cousin ought in theory to be high priority if he wants to go that route, though I know it’s very dependent on where you are and who your doctor is.

Wow. My mom got vaccinated when she was in the hospital, because they were vaccinating most of their inpatients (until they ran out each day) prioritizing the older inpatients.

He told me he was currently in the window where he had been able to get a second AZ dose for a few weeks now, but that the option to get a Pfizer shot wasn’t yet available, but would be fairly soon.

That sounds completely plausible. Good luck to him!

187,647,215 total cases
4,049,338 dead
171,603,940 recovered

In the US:

34,732,753 total cases
622,845 dead
29,244,103 recovered

Yesterday’s numbers for comparison:

Florida and Missouri are showing sharp increases in the latest Johns Hopkins seven-day-average of new reported cases. There are are smaller but worrying increases in 11 others states (including New York) and in Puerto Rico that may or may not be something. It’s hard to tell yet. There’s a similar small rise in the US as a whole.

Globally, the Hopkins site shows fast rises in the UK, Indonesia, Russia, South Africa, Iran, Bangladesh, Thailand, Tunisia, Iraq, Mexico, the Netherland (very sharp), and Cuba (also very fast).

Aye; worldwide, both new cases and deaths are trending upwards.

And the second day in a row of triple-digit new case, with 102 reported Sunday. And the first Covid death of a fully vaccinated man has been reported. All they’re saying is he was in his 80s, had underlying conditions and died several weeks ago but his vaccination status only recently became known.

Looks like Arkansas is doing it’s part to make sure they increase the Delta variant numbers, and make sure they act as a virus reservoir so that Covid will be with us for a long, long time to come.

Low vaccination rates. 34%
Who cares about making, social distancing or other measures.

They’ve given up. " ‘we’ve done everything we can’ to convince people to get vaccinated."

Maybe Arkansas local news can play up this story:

That isn’t a new story. Dominated by anxiety/mood and other psychosomatics. Clickbaitish.

This sounds more like the death of someone who tested positive for Covid and had been vaccinated rather than a Covid death. I suppose that having a positive test for Covid wasn’t helping him any, but without more details showing that he had symptoms typical of Covid not already accounted for by his other issues, I’d tag it as just a coincidence. (Vaccinated people do test positive for Covid sometimes, right? They just tend to not get sick?)

Vaccinated people sometimes get sick, too. Just less often than unvaccinated people. And lots of old people die of covid, in part because they were already frail – but covid is the proximate cause of death. Why do you assume this person died of something else?