Coronavirus COVID-19 (2019-nCoV) Thread - 2020 Breaking News

They rounded down just to keep it simple.

Thanks for the calculating. What a disgraceful response this country’s leaders and its selfish citizens have offered.

31,783,501 total cases
975,471 dead
23,400,638 recovered

In the US:

7,097,937 total cases
205,471 dead
4,346,110 recovered

Yesterday’s numbers for comparison:

The world will have over 1,000,000 Covid-19 deaths by the start of next week.

The US will have over 20% of those deaths.

One question: why are your stats different than the ones I saw on CNN? According to their numbers, the US has had 200,768 Covid deaths so far.

CNN I think is using Johns Hopkins, Snowboarder_Bo is using the Worldometer. Slightly different counting methodologies which wander away from each other, but should eventually come to a similar conclusion. Presumably Johns Hopkins is more conservative about confirmation.

ETA: Ah, sweet victory!

CNN uses the John-Hopkins numbers and Bo and some newspapers use Worldometers’. The two diverged a few months ago for I don’t know what reason, I think sometime back in April.

Well that makes sense then.

I have noticed that India hopefully is on the downward slope. I don’t think they ever passed 100K a day, but they were close.

Mask-opponent Governor of Missouri catches covid-19.

Missouri Gov. Mike Parson, a Republican who has steadfastly refused to require residents to wear masks, tested positive for the coronavirus, his office said Wednesday.
<snip>
On Friday, he and several other Missouri Republican candidates appeared together at an event called the “TARGET BBQ” in Springfield. A photo posted on Parson’s Twitter pages shows Parson on a stage with four other statewide officeholders seeking reelection: Treasurer Scott Fitzpatrick, Lt. Gov. Mike Kehoe, Secretary of State Jay Ashcroft and Attorney General Eric Schmitt. They appear to be a few feet apart from each other, but none are wearing masks.

31,878,408 total cases
977,155 dead
23,475,695 recovered

In the US:

7,139,553 total cases
206,593 dead
4,398,907 recovered

Yesterday’s numbers for comparison:

His wife, Teresa, too. But hey, when you run all over the state, attending rodeos and fairs and golf gatherings, maskless…it seems like the virus likes your campaign and votes for you.

Been appreciaiting your close watch on this, Bo.
Familiar with Caroline Chen ?
Her, along with Tony, are among the few I trust.

The word “karma” comes to mind. I wish no ill well on anyone, but I can’t say I’m all that surprised. Anti-maskers.

I’m never sure I fully understand this point of view. The real thing to root for, if one were inclined along those lines, would be for those people to get severely ill. If they get only mildly ill, or not sick at all, aren’t they just demonstrating, for all to see, that they were justified to calculate risk the way they did?

He has been running all over the state, at any crowded event, campaigning with no mask and no shame. His base is the same. MO is the reddest of states, bc of the rural areas. I have lived here all my life, St Louis born and bred, and have seen how this region has altered, and not for the better. It was once a very Democratic state, but as so many other areas have done, it went full tilt right some years ago. I have already voted, as an in person absentee. My husband and I did not vote for one Republican. Not one. Gov Parson is one of those we did not vote for, but I hope he doesn’t die. I want him to experience his defeat.

Heh. The “I AM A COVID TARGET BBQ” amirite?

Last report I saw said they’re asymptomatic; so that’s probably exactly what they and their followers are thinking.

North Korea kills a South Korean official, likely in the process of defecting to NK, and then burns the body out of an abundance of caution regarding Covid-19. NYT article. CNN article.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: I find the theory that they killed and burned him out of fear of coronavirus plausible because otherwise a SK official (albeit a minor one) defecting northward would be a propaganda coup if not an intelligence coup. I picture a NK intelligence officer on the phone: “You found a South Korean government official trying to come ashore to defect? Bring him over right away.” [Fist pump. Long pause.] “You did WHAT!?! And you did WHAT to the body?!”

Governor Parson says that he has had no symptoms, but news reports indicate that his wife is apparently symptomatic:

The mind boggles. It’s going to be an interesting election this year.