Coronavirus general discussion and chit-chat

The data strongly support this.

If that were a genuine Catholic argument, it would have come up decades before now. There are plenty of Catholics in the military who are required to wear gas masks, etc.

Better hope that none of the night crew have Covid then. :flushed:

Not to mention they routinely drive on the right side of the road, and a billion other things that one could dementedly misinterpret as “surrendering to the government.” Sheesh.

:woman_facepalming:t4:

A restaurant in the conservative Southern California town of Huntington Beach is demanding that customers prove they’re unvaccinated against the coronavirus as a protest against public health protections.

Notice of the new policy was spelled out in two messages taped to the windows of Basilico’s Pasta e Vino Italian restaurant. “We have zero tolerance for treasonous, anti-American stupidity,” read one.

Customers won’t actually have to produce proof they’re unvaccinated, since the only official documentation is for people who have gotten their shots, an employee told the Los Angeles Times.

Basilico’s owner, Tony Roman, told the newspaper in an email that he was fighting “tyrants.”

“With warning signs of another impending lockdown, and many business owners again emboldening those who I refer to as ‘the lockdown tiny tyrants’ — this time by imposing proof-of-vaccination policies — we chose to fire another missile of defiance to further make our point in defense of American liberty and freedom,” Roman said.

Yeah, yeah, freedumb, blahblahblah… Guy is doing a fine job of representing the Stupidity Faction all on his own.

Coworker is back. He tested negative, and had to self-isolate for a time (two weeks?) before being allowed to come back to the office. His s/o tested negative before he did, but she still can’t smell or taste.

We had a staff meeting today, followed by grilled brats. We had a full house (13 of us, I think) and only two small tables. Coworker sat next to me. He tested negative, he self-quarantined, and he’s had one dose of vaccine. But I probably should have eaten outside.

I wonder what they’d do if a customer came in and exercised their freedom to take a steaming dump on the floor.

I say all the kitchen staff should exercise their freedom by not washing their hands or keeping food under proper temps.

Managed to piss off a coworker today. We had agreed to do lunch this Friday. She messaged me today, asking if we were still on, laughingly noting she was sure the bug she had last week was COVID.
With that end note hell no, we’re not on.
She went on to say she was tested last Wednesday and again on Sunday, both came back negative, but didn’t understand why I was taking it so seriously. If you don’t understand then I don’t know what to say.
Now she’s mad because she was looking forward to socializing.

Sorry, not sorry.

You kinda should be sorry. I know people are at different levels of freak out but she was joking and had two negative tests for god’s sake. You don’t just not laugh at the joke, you cancel on her.

I had the opposite experience. I was invited to a friend’s, and I had a bit of a bug, but had recovered. So I told them I’d been sick, and I thought I was better, and I did a home covid antigen test that was negative, but I wanted to be upfront, and would understand if they preferred I stayed home.

They told me to come anyway.

(We are all fully vaccinated, and I am by far the oldest person who was invited to that event.)

I believe @MissTake mentioned that she is in a high risk category. (Sorry if I got that wrong.) If so, her friend probably knows this and is being a jerk.

So if you remember correctly and if the coworker knows this then their little joke makes them a jerk. Ok.

A little joke about maybe having a highly communicable disease that may kill her friend.

Just a little joke.

What’s your purpose here?

I think we know the ‘purpose’. And yes, I’ve reported it.

Wow, hair trigger there, Tex. Maybe you think this is outrageous trolling but we have in fact made jokes like that at my work. Someone coughs, someone else says “uh oh, you got the Rona”. I don’t work at Trump headquarters either. My god, you guys reported that post?

Indeed. If someone is uncomfortable with socializing because you were sick last week, even though you had two negative tests in the interim, that’s their prerogative to assess the risk for themselves and decide whether they are comfortable meeting up or not. There’s nothing unreasonable about that. I, personally, wouldn’t care and would meet up, anyway, but I would not hold it against somebody else if they were being cautious. Why should I?

Well, I guess I didn’t see it as being cautious. It sounds a lot more like making the joke made her unlunchable. I don’t think making these severe battle lines is particularly healthy.

Same. Among my friends and family people have a wide variety of comfort levels, and I’d just as soon not make anyone uncomfortable. Or expose my friends to risks that they deem too great for their circumstances.

Now, it’s possible I could be wrong – but my inference is that she did, indeed, come down with some sort of bug, which is what precipitated the two tests. Hence, it’s absolutely reasonable for the person you’re meeting up with to be extra cautious. It’s not up to me to tell them what they should and should not be comfortable with, and it’s really unhelpful to judge. Just let it be and meet up next time.

Did you and I read different posts? I read that having recently had a covid-like bug made her unlunchable. And I think that’s a reasonable stance right now.