Coronavirus general discussion and chit-chat

This is a great article about Ivermectin from NPR.

"Smith felt the hospital had given up on her husband, but she could not, according to the complaint. After doing research on the internet, she sued the hospital to require it to treat her husband with ivermectin — an inexpensive anti-parasitic drug that’s been used to cure animals and people from worms and lice since the 1980s… Meanwhile, some people are overdosing on ivermectin. While the drug is generally considered to be safe in doses approved for human use, many who are taking it as an unproven treatment for COVID-19 are using more than the typically prescribed amount, says Michael Ganio of the American Society of Health System Pharmacists, or using concentrated forms meant for livestock. And that has prompted warnings from U.S. federal agencies.

Bristow says the research community is devoting more time and resources to studying this drug, compared with other treatments, because of the immense interest around it. As was the case with hydroxychloroquine, though, she cautions that interest in the drug may be driven more by ideology than science.

U.S. health authorities and most doctors do not recommend using it to prevent or treat COVID-19, citing a lack of clear evidence on whether the drug works. Yet myths and beliefs around the drug have taken on a life of their own, fueled by a small group of doctors whose views diverge from the medical consensus, by right wing commentators and by internet groups where people share tips on sourcing and dosing."

In the repeated standardization of the system, one of the points about mu is that it can be written as u, using standard Latin fonts (as can all the other prefixes). I don’t know if there was an ANSI standard: t’s still part of the ISO standard. It’s less important now that we have soft fonts, but it’s still there.

…are by definition non law-abiding citizens.

Type it out: micrograms. Nursing schools are teaching now to avoid all abbreviations. Typing out micrograms doesn’t take enough more keystrokes to risk errors.

And on my Android?

Maybe i can copy and paste the one you typed.

If i were responsible for giving people the right dose, and not just writing about how a study was structured, I’d be a lot more worried about not being misunderstood. I’ll probably continue to abbreviate in situations like this one, but I’m glad nurses are taking extra precautions.

We try!

My ex-wife, an RN, would use “mg” for milligram and “mcg” for microgram. Is that not used anymore? Just curious.

Those are the abbreviations I’m familiar with. (Used to do publications/typesetting at a hospital.)

On mine there is a long touch option on the π key that gives me μ.
On the numeric page, which I get to by tapping the “?123” key in the lower left, there is the “=<” key. Tapping it brings me to the symbols page. Where you find the π key.

I miss the “like” option. But thanks, that works.

The last I sat in a training room they were saying to write the word out-microgram, milligram. The ‘c’ can be easily misconstrued in curcive, etc.

Inadvertent funny! [cursive]

I get that many anti-vaxxers are FAUX news addicts (also Newsmaxx), some are uneducated, many are anti-authoritarian, into conspiracy theories, blahblahblah, but can anyone explain the reasons active, currently employed medical personnel – I’m talking about doctors and nurses– give for refusing to be vaccinated? They are seeing people die from COVID every day. They are in the trenches. What are their reasons (using the term loosely)?

Question prompted by this story:

Doctors and nurses — and also support staff, like food service workers and cleaners — have been given until Sept. 27 to get at least their first vaccine shot in one of the nation’s most aggressive plans to protect patients.

With just days left to go before the deadline, many still hadn’t. That left the prospect of potentially thousands of health care workers being forced off the job next week.

[The Erie County Medical Center Corporation, which operates a busy 573-bed hospital in Buffalo] anticipates that about 10% of its workforce, or 400 staff members, might still not be vaccinated by Monday. Under a contingency plan, the hospital said it would suspend elective inpatient surgeries, temporarily stop accepting ICU transfers from other institutions and reduce hours at outpatient clinics.

They are risking the lives of their patients. What about professional ethics? Are these highly educated people subscribers to conspiracy theories and Deep State B.S.?

The article doesn’t say that any doctors or nurses are unvaccinated, just that they’re part of a group of hospital employees of whom 10% are still unvaccinated. The article implies very strongly that the reason the hospital might need to postpone surgeries etc. is unvaccinated doctors / nurses, but it doesn’t actually say that anywhere; it could just be support staff. Not excusable either way, but I’m curious why they couldn’t be more direct.

True. But my question stands: does anyone know what reasons doctors and nurses (i.e., direct patient-care professionals) give for not getting vaccinated?

I’m not talking about aides, cleaners, cafeteria personnel and other hospital staff.

ETA: My google-fu is failing me on searching for answers.

My daughter (a nurse) tells me they are idiots. Every profession has them, it takes something like a pandemic to shine a light on them.

Ahhhh… dat 'splains it. Got it. :+1:t4:

Do you know what they call the person who graduates at the bottom of their medical school class?

Doctor.

I’ve heard anecdotes wherein a nurse, who has direct and frequent contact with his or her patients, noticed issues with them; and when s/he reported them to the doctors, they were blown off – even though they were right and the doctor wasn’t. Maybe these situations lead to the feeling by some nurses that they know better than the doctors, and from there they make their own decisions about the vaccines based on their own ‘research’? (FWIW, an RN degree is a two-year degree. Basically an Associates. On the other hand, my wife didn’t start getting phone calls until she earned her four-year BSN degree.)