Coronavirus general discussion and chit-chat

It applies for SARS-CoV-2 virions on surfaces. Look at the specific question @Bonum_Legatum asked.

Perhaps I misread. I thought Bonum was asking something to the effect of “When a virion lands on a surface, what physically happens when it degrades?” I believe the McGill University link answered that question.

Well … yes, right. I agree.

I admit to being a little perplexed at our exchange over the last few posts. Perhaps posting slightly at cross-purposes.

Thank you bordelond. Your post is exactly what I was looking for.

Yeah, I misunderstood the question. I thought the question was along the lines of “I know at first we were sanitizing everything, but what’s the current guidance?” The answer to that (unasked) question appears to be “nothing.” As in, just practice the same hygiene you always did, or maybe a slightly improved version if you used to slack off, for the same reasons you always did.

It looks like the question was more interested in the technical mechanisms just for curiosity’s sake. And in that context, I agree that a cite from April 2020 is perfectly cromulent.

Exactly. It’s hard to get covid through surfaces mainly because the proteins and lipids in the viral envelope make it sticky. The likelihood of getting a good dose of viruses to unstick from the surface onto your hand, then unstick from your hand into your nose or mouth is pretty low even if the viruses are still intact and “viable”.

Our local rail transit agency just made masks mandatory again. That’s the fourth change since April, and just a couple of weeks since they last said masks were no longer needed. People around here are so confused.

I don’t know about Covid specifically, but in many cases, UV light degrades and kills germs.

Yeah, i think the infection can damage some of the nerves involved in smelling, and it takes a while for them to heal. A rapid test is a much better estimator of whether you’re infectious than “can you smell”, or, in fact, many symptoms.

It should be interesting to see how people are doing in a few years because damage to your sense of smell can take a really long time to heal.

Over the course of two years I worked for my university’s housing department painting dorm rooms for a total of about 7 months: two summers between Memorial day and Labor day, and J term in between those summers which is the threeish weeks between December 27 and MLK day.

During J term a fair number of students who’d been “invited by the university to take the spring term off” came with family or friends to pack up their dorm rooms. A few of these days it was -40 windchill so most of our interactions with these people were trying to keep out of their way as we painted the hallways, and scolding them for trying to prop the doors open that’d freeze us to death.

Except for one person, who wanted to know how we could stand the smell of the paint.

We’d all worked together the summer before, and we all asked her “what smell?” and immediately realized that not one of us could smell the paint anymore. None of could pinpoint when the smell had stopped bothering us.

In the end took 10 years before I could smell laytex paint again.

Just mulling something: Since the beginning of the pandemic, Michigan has a count of 37,500+ deaths due to Covid. That is greater than the entire population of Eastpointe or of Holland. (If you prefer the largest city, it is about 6% of the population of Detroit.)

For your state, what city would be of similar comparison? - Obviously I mean in comparison to your state’s numbers.

Oregon: More than Madras, just shy of Scappoose.

Kansas: About 9,000 deaths, which is approximately the size of Chanute, the state’s 40th largest city.

(Yes, I know, ‘city’ is a relative term.)

Hmm, closer to the 63rd largest city in my vaccinated state.

Connecticut has lost a little over 11,000 people to COVID, which would be around the 91st largest town in the state.

Which is weird, because in terms of per capita deaths Connecticut is likely ranked towards the bottom. The tri-state area of NY/NJ/CT suffered a disproportionate amount of deaths right out of the gate as the virus entered the country through the New York airports.

Meaning I expected the total to be more like the 20th largest town, not 90th.

EDIT: Looks like red state intransigence over time has overcome that initial wave. As of today, Mississippi has the most covid deaths per capita. New Jersey is 9th, New York 15th and Connecticut 26th.

Yeah, NY, NJ, and to a lesser extent CA, CT, and MA had a disproportionate number of deaths at the very start of the pandemic, but anti-vax states have largely caught up.

At 93,919 deaths, COVID has wiped out the equivalent of Compton, the 80th largest city in the state.

Colorado: 13,726 deaths. This is the equivalent of Federal Heights, which is the 51st in size. It’s a small suburb of Denver.

Since Denver is the largest city, it would be 1.9% of Denver’s population.