Corporate Conspiracy Theories

Inspired by the recent thread on Sports Conspiracy Theories, I’m starting a thread for conspiracies you think have happened/are happening in the corporate/business world. I’m not talking about Illuminati take-over-the-world crap; anything will do.

I’ll start with one from the auto industry. I think the newly-merged Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is planning on eliminating the Dodge brand. You see, auto companies that have too many brands always have trouble managing them all. Either some of the brands will be neglected, or the brands will end up competing with each other. Ford and General Motors both learned this the hard way. Volkswagen (which currently has something like a dozen brands) is next in line for the lesson.

It’s a common opinion among auto insiders that Fiat-Chrysler doesn’t need all 3 of its mainstream car brands (Fiat, Chrysler, and Dodge) and that they could stand to drop one of them. Based purely on sales, the Fiat brand is the clear weakling, but the guys in charge speak Italian, so it’s safe to say that the Fiat brand is in no danger. The company just released a 5-year plan which calls for Dodge to to focus on “performance vehicles,” ie muscle cars. This is all well & good, except that niche vehicles have a long history of not doing well, and eventually getting dropped. Even the Camaro was cancelled for a few years before GM brought it back. So basically, I think Dodge is being set up to fail. When it turns into a muscle car, it’s sales will fall, and this will be used as justification for killing Dodge altogether.

Also, I’m thinking that the Ram brand (pickup trucks) will eventually be merged into Jeep. This is based on Fiat-Chrysler’s stated desire to make Jeep a global brand, and logically a global brand of light trucks needs to have pickup trucks. Ram used to be a sub-brand of Dodge, and was “spun off” as a full brand a few years ago. If my theory above is true, then this move might suggest that plans to kill Dodge were in the works even back then.

Your example is hardly a “conspiracy theory” but more speculation or rumor about a company’s marketing plans.

A group of companies that had a vested interest in selling buses and automobiles formed a shell company to buy up all the Street Cars in various cities with the purpose of dismantling them. Some details here.

Comcast and Time Warner Cable do not compete with each other in various markets. This keeps the cost of cable higher and give them more profit.

Well, yeah. The whole telecom industry is a system of regional monopolies. That’s how they get away with the overpriced, shitty service we all know and loathe. That’s not really a conspiracy. It’s not even really a ‘theory’ - it’s an observable fact.

The auto industry and the oil industry have been colluding since the 1930’s to keep the 200 MPG carburetor off the market. :wink:

Monsanto has genetically engineered aluminum and barium-resistant crops so that we can be bombarded by chemtrails without their plants dying off. This makes us chronically ill so Big Pharma can sell us lots of drugs. Here’s a list of chemtrails symptoms:

• Headache
• Brain fog
• Fatigue
• Low energy
• Compromised immunity
• Disorientation
• Difficulty paying attention and concentrating
• Sinusitis
• Skin discomfort/irritation
• Joint pain
• Muscle pain
• Asthmatic (Breathing difficulties)
• Dizziness
• Insomnia
• Memory loss
• Eye problems (blurred or fuzzy vision)
• Nausea
• Liver problems
• Gallballder dysfunction
• Tinnitus (distant ringing in ears or high pitched sound after spraying)
• Neck pain
• Scratchy throat
• Allergy symptoms
• Hay fever out of season
• Flu-like symptoms
• Susceptibility to colds
• General weakness
• Anxiety
• Lightheaded or faint
• Depression
• Coughing
• Sneezing
• Shortness of breath
• Vertigo
• Anger/Rage/Frustration issues
• MORGELLONS disease

By my calculations, every single Doper reading this has had one or more of these symptoms in the last week! What more proof do you need?