Couch-to-5K: Anyone with me?

Just finished week 1, day 3. Holy crap, one week completed. I still kind of can’t believe I can do this. Right after a run, I feel like a superhero. (A superhero that runs so slowly that elderly people in walkers could pass me, but let’s not quibble.)

One week down; eight to go.

Don’t worry about the speed, I still do what I can only call a “shuffle” on my longer runs.

I did this last year. Well I didn’t actually finish. But I did go from huffing and puffing during that first week to running for 25 minutes non stop about 2 months later. I used the Ullrey podcasts and found them great. I would run for 3 minutes and it would kill me. All I could think was “How can I run for 5 minutes next week?” But somehow I was always able to make the jump.

Once I did my 25 minute run I decided to do my own playlist for the next one. I got a bit sick of the dance music that Ullrey uses. I did one run using my own playlist and never went again. At the time the weather was awful so that might have been a contributing factor. I keep meaning to get back into it again so maybe I’ll use this opportunity.

I never felt good running though. The feeling when I got home was great but the running itself was horrible. I guess I never got through that barrier.

Yes, I am hoping that eventually I go to feeling good during an actual run. I feel awesome after I have finished a run, but during, not so much. Hrududu, it’s summer, the weather is great, come on and run with us! :smiley:

I’m hoping to start Sunday or Monday. It’s been so long since I was able to participate in distance running that this program looks quite appropriate at this point.

Thanks for the OP.

Made me laugh right out loud that did :slight_smile: Congratulations on your achievement!

I’ve been thinking about this for a while. Currently I walk and jog every morning. Have been doing so for a couple of years now but can’t jog more than about 4-5 minutes. Walk, hell, I can walk forever but jogging just wipes me out. I think if I had a schedule and increased it a little at a time I could work up to a longer jog.

I’m going to check it out. Maybe it’s time for a change in my routine.

And BTW, love mapmywalk.com Really helpful in terms of distances etc.

Jogging 5 minutes is more than I can currently do. After a week of C25K, I can get through a 60-second jog without feeling like I’m going to die, but 5 minutes is right out. Right. Out. But according to a lot of people who have done this program before, I’ll be doing 5 minutes easily by the end of it. :eek: So, I think you should give it a shot!

Summer is a problem here and it lasts for most of the year. I will either have to do this early in the morning or just before sunset. I am not a morning person and I work evenings two days a week. Maybe I could just do this on my wii fit, indoors? :slight_smile:

You guys go ahead, I’ll watch you from here.

If I might offer some encouragement –

I found and completed this program almost exactly 5 years ago. At the point I started was almost 70 pounds heavier than I am now and in horrible shape. I remember the horrible suffering involved and how I could not run for more than 45 seconds when I first started. But for some insane reason, I stuck with it.

And today, I love running. I’m still in the healthy weight range. But most amazingly, I completed a 50k (very hilly) trail race this past weekend! I really do believe that the techniques introduced in this program can help you even get beyond 5k if you so desire. I’ve met a lot of great people in the running community around here and found some amazing trails to keep me encouraged.

So, best wishes to everyone starting out on this, it really is a great way to get yourself on the path to better health!

I just finished day 1 of week 3. All in all it was a pretty good run I made pretty good time but I had trouble for the last half of the final run section. I have a problem running too fast at the start but as long as I can run all of each run portion I don’t worry about it too much.

I really, really want to do this, too. I started it along with the big group last year, but some really crappy stuff happened and I had to quit. I can’t start until next Monday, though. Am I going to be behind everyone else? I hope not.

I have to remember to go SLOOOOOOOOW at first. Bring on those old ladies and their walkers!

Clothilde

I can’t start right away either, I need some decent running shoes and probably won’t be able to shop for any until the weekend, so I may not be able to start until Monday.

You all can start any time you need to. I figured that we would probably get some people posting who were at different spots in the program, or who have actually completed the program, or who aren’t even doing this program, or whatever. Seriously, the more the merrier.

I really do think that slow is key. If I tried to do any kind of speed run in the first week, I think I wouldn’t have finished. My “jog/run” is still barely faster than my walking speed. But I figure I’m just working on building up my strength and endurance right now. Speed can come (much) later, if ever.

I’m ready to get started with this. I’m committing right now to doing Week One, Day One tonight after work. My jog/run will definitely only be slightly faster than my walking speed. :slight_smile:

Just finished Day 1 of Week 1. I can go for over an hour on an elliptical or bike at a fairly high level but I’m so terrible at running. If my butt doesn’t feel too funny or if I’m not too sore tomorrow I plan to stick it out. It’s hard just trying to control it to a jog but maybe the sudden running is what would make me sore the next day and not stick with it in previous attempts; I’m interested to see how this will go.

I just completed Week 2 Day 1. After I did week 1 day 1, I looked at this week’s schedule and thought, no way am I going to be able to run 90 seconds at a time by next week. No way. But today, I’ll go ahead and hubristically say that it was actually – well, not easy, but easier than I thought. Probably my easiest run yet, actually. Week 1 was killer, but this felt a little easier on me. For one thing, I didn’t get any horrible side stitches. I have resolved not to eat anything for at least two hours before a run, which I think is helping with that issue. But also I think possibly my body is acclimating slightly to running. The 3-minute runs next week are still terrifying to me, but I’m trying not to think about it. :slight_smile:

Congrats on the good run. I don’t know why but the day 1s each week have by far taken the most out of me. Are your weeks getting easier or harder?

It takes the human body about 7-8 weeks to adjust to a new demand. What you need to be doubly aware of is that your cardiovascular system is in good shape but you need to gain your “running legs”. You will feel like you can go faster but your legs aren’t up to the task-yet.

I’ve had to delay my start… what I thought was muscle soreness from some home remodeling stuff this weekend flared up through the day until I was a walkin at my doc’s office by 2pm begging to be seen by any M.D. with a spare moment. Diagnosis: sciatica. With a steroid script and some Vicadin to prove it. Oh, me.